Any tips to get steering wheel off! VG Valiant

jason18, Aug 16, 10:37pm
Undone big bolt and there seems to be nothing stopping it from coming off but the *&$*($*&*$wont come off! Been swinging off it like a monkey! Dont want to have to buy a puller just for one job!

Any tips kind peeps

thunderbolt, Aug 16, 10:46pm
First tip, put the nut back on loose at the top of the shaft.
That will stop you wearing it in the face when if finally comes free.

Soak with CRC, WD40.etc

bjmh, Aug 16, 11:05pm
stand on the brake pedal.with the nut refitted a couple of threads .hand either side of wheel .Gently pull oneside then the other .a cheap puller is a bit of flat .drill 2 hole to correspond with tapped threads in steering wheel.a couple of bolts.bobs yr auntie

jason18, Aug 16, 11:06pm
haha cheers guys. A bit more swearing and persistance did it ! Cheers for the tips

lookoutas, Aug 17, 5:21am
Lucky you put the nut back on - wasn't it!

johnf_456, Aug 17, 5:31am
x1
Found that out the hard way back in the day, bite my tongue lol.

biddy6, Aug 17, 5:44am
I have been able to get a tight steering wheel off by undoing the nut most of the way off, and then drive safely( cautiously round the block,) working on the wheel ie; trying to wriggle it loose as you drive. You can usually feel it come loose after a couple of left-right handers.

lookoutas, Aug 17, 6:33am
Nothings changed john!

skin1235, Aug 17, 6:39am
didn't the vg have a taper spline!

the more things change, the more they stay the same

johnf_456, Aug 17, 6:48am
no need for that smart comment to attack.
Johnf_456

fryan1962, Aug 17, 8:04am
next time run nut to the top knees under both sides upward pressure ,smack nut with hammer,oh days before airbags

lookoutas, Aug 17, 8:32am
Just a bit of humor man - lighten up.

andrewph, Aug 25, 10:36am
Had one of the apprentices do the same job at a dealership i worked at only he didnt leave the nut on the steering wheel brokenis 2 top front teeth and gashedthe inside of his top lip. He didnt do it twice.

luckythirteen, Aug 25, 10:53am
Ooooo ouch. Reminds me when I was speed ratcheting (very fast use of the ratchet lol) a 1/2 inch koken ratchet at eye level, but silly me I was working it back and forth toward my face!
Well, on the full extended stroke back toward my head/face, the $%@#! ratchet/socket came off the bolt and smashed my teeth in as well. Broke my fang off and killed a big front one.
Begezus H crist I was livid. The boss made me keep working too, which made me more %$@#! off. LOL

I wasn't as stupid as to do the steering wheel thing though lol ;o)

ceebee2, Aug 26, 6:38am
VG has a master spline so you have to alter the tie rod ends to adjust steering wheel position. (Owned one for 20 years!)

pdc1, Sep 30, 5:14pm
yes, but you have to make sure the lengths are the same each side, or it will try to bump steer