Falcon owners. a question to you.

Page 1 / 2
skyline_guy_r34, Sep 15, 5:04am
When you drive your normal trips, where does the temperature gauge sit when upto normal temperature!

Hoping to get people with AU falcons but will be interested in others.

craig04, Sep 15, 5:06am
I've just bought an AU. It sits at the lower end of the normal range. Hope that helps.

doug207, Sep 15, 5:10am
Lower end of normal, mid way when towing.

jason18, Sep 15, 5:19am
My AU sits on the o of normal towing and around town

xraps, Sep 15, 5:25am
yep, '98 EL here sits on first quarter to third of the guage in the normal range. Never seen it go higher even towing a load up the Kaimai's.

myjg33, Sep 15, 6:18am
04 ba 6cylinder,lower end of normal.

purple666, Sep 15, 6:21am
Myn run jst blow Hot coz it bin hotd up heaps n gos fst.

taipan4, Sep 15, 6:24am
uhhhhhhhhhhhhh left school at 10 years old LOL

kingfisher21, Sep 15, 6:37am
Yup, AU should sit around the O on normal, should warm up to that fairly quickly as well.

skyline_guy_r34, Sep 15, 7:03am
Mine its under the N normally once its warmed up around town (takes a good 6-8kms to get to that). Ive always thought it takes its time.

Towed an empty trailer on the napier taupo today and almost overheated 5 or 6 times. Thought I had a stuck open thermostat with the car taking ages to warm up. But then quickly heating up like this.

This is why I asked the question to you guys. Cheers for your response.

Will replace top and bottom radiator hoses, along with thermostat, and do a flush and go from there.

mopar63, Sep 15, 7:33am
yea my el sits around 1/4 to a 3rd , 2/3rds when towing a caravan on a hot day,hill work the guages do shoot up but that happens on all the coons I've had, don't think you have to worry unless it's actually in the red, Iwas going to get my rad flushed ect when we got the caravan but for an extra $100 ($240 all up)I just bought a brand new one

kingfisher21, Sep 15, 7:34am
AU's can be a bit strange, you have to be very carefull what antifreeze you use and the right concentration, the temp sender actually monitors head temp not water temp, it screws into the back of the head straight into alloy, not even into water. Change the thermostat and give the system a good flush, run straight water in it for a while and see what it does.

v8_mopar, Sep 15, 7:58am
This is a good thing cos it will still work if you lose all the water unlike when its in the water

kingfisher21, Sep 15, 8:41am
Yup, AU's "apparantly" can run with no water in the engine at all for up to 200km so they say, ECU shuts cylinders down and alternates them to cool cylinders down.

mellisa2000, Sep 15, 10:25am
That's the cylinder head temp sensor, NOT the coolant temp sensor, which is by the thermostat housing. This sensor is to allow limited operations for a certain time, in event of coolant loss. Such as double pumping, not firing cylinders in a random order to keep the interior of the cylinders as cool as possible. Just for the record.
I agree with your second post, however.
Fish.

mellisa2000, Sep 15, 10:39am
You almost certainly have a blocked radiator, as does the poster below your post.

crzyhrse, Sep 15, 10:44am
Yep. The 'N' on NORMAL is far too high.

kdcentralni, Sep 15, 8:39pm
I turned my BA off after traversing vinegar hill, (talking on the phone) temp shotup then, didn't like that wanted it's water pump turned back on.

swfc1867, Sep 16, 12:30am
Translation: "I still live at home and Mummy tucks me in at night"

iman007, Sep 16, 12:55am
lmfao, good post, im still laughin hehe

skyline_guy_r34, Sep 16, 4:39am
Do you own an AU falcon! Or drive one! The N on normal is the first letter. and its only about 1/5th up the gauge from stone cold.

kingfisher21, Sep 16, 4:53am
Tell me why then my AU has no sensors what so ever in the thermostat housing and when the one on the rear of the head is unplugged the temp guage no longer works!

phlippy, Sep 16, 7:22am
Um i have an 91! xg panel van it seems down on power and the van rocks when its idling and seems to be using way too much fuel.
couple of weeks ago turned the heater to the feet setting and got my shoes washed. Its not been used much in winter. I imagine it just needs a good service

1fordluva, Sep 17, 9:25pm
Fish can tell you as he is a qualified ford tech,all I know about the au is that some had the head sensor and base models had the temp sender at the thermosat housing.
In saying that ,there were alot of changes between e series and au series.thick film ignition and cam sensor changed from side of the block to inside the rocker cover.
It could be it runs 2 sensors of the one line!

guider1, Sep 17, 9:37pm
Sure that isnt O for Orsum!