Suzuki Vitara 1995 V6 auto, what to look for!

kcf, Sep 23, 6:30am
Kicked the tyres and took one for a drive.Body and paint were excellent, but the engine was pretty noisy, could have done with some oil.

Anything to look for in these!

This one had done 181k, and was the three door.

franc123, Sep 23, 6:39am
Almost certainly the timing chain needs replacing, this is an expensive job and probably why the thing is for sale, as in way more expensive than a typical timing belt replacement on most vehicles.Unless its priced a good $1500-2K below other examples with quiet engines (!),don't buy. If it was in fact low on oil thats even more reason to avoid it.Very very common on those when they get up in the km's, some examples I've seen have shown signs of noisy chains even before 120km is reached.Personally I would avoid the smaller V6's completely, besides the above issue the performance and economy is crap, unless you need a bit extra torque for towing stick to the 1.6 or later 2.0 4 cylinder versions and enjoy slightly (and yes thats slightly) less performance and a fair bit more fuel money in your pocket.

poppajn, Sep 23, 6:52am
Something else!

kcf, Sep 23, 7:54am
Good advice, will take that advice!

slacker8, Sep 24, 11:25pm
to poach a thread, what are 98-03 grand vitara 2ltr 4cyl like, any pitfallsto watch out for!

mugenb20b, Nov 13, 10:49pm
They are good, no faults as far as I'm aware. Try and get one with FSH.