A question about tow trucks

saxman99, Oct 4, 10:37pm
Hey all.What would you expect to pay for having your largely undamaged car (wheels down) winched from a ditch (easy access, takes 5 min) and then towed 5 minutes to a panel shop.All up 15 minutes of time needed, plus 5 minutes for the truck to get there.

bigjerry, Oct 4, 10:39pm
Around $120 I would say.

tazcsv, Oct 4, 10:39pm
Upto $200!

crzyhrse, Oct 4, 10:59pm
I paid $90 to have a disabled vehicle towed across Auckland on a flat bed that I insisted on (RWD auto broken down on the motorway) about 6 years ago.

ringo2, Oct 4, 11:07pm
Well how much did you pay! Guess that you don't have insurance!

saxman99, Oct 4, 11:38pm
Have full insurance but decided not to claim as damage was so minor I just paid cash to have it tarted up.

Towie has billed us $260+GST which works out at $1196 per hour.I am leaning towards the idea that that is the kind of outrageous nonsense they would charge an insurance company, rather than a private tow.To me they are just taking the piss.

I used the same company a week beforehand to do a very similar tow, although the car was simply broken down as opposed to being in a ditch and it cost $70.

Am currently 'negotiating'.-

curlcrown, Oct 4, 11:42pm
Was it at night!

crzyhrse, Oct 4, 11:44pm
As a consumer just remember that charges for a service must be 'reasonable'. I think you have good evidence that it's in fact extortionate, given your other recent experience.
http://legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1993/0091/latest/DLM312842.html

saxman99, Oct 4, 11:50pm
Thanks for the link, very cool.

skin1235, Oct 5, 7:26am
I'd copy that - and send a cheque for $120 as full and final payment

marcos1, Dec 9, 9:45am
It appears you have been charged for salvage AND towing.

Good luck in getting the price reduced.