Touring the south island in a Motorhome.

rgnbetts, Jan 17, 1:09am
Does anyone have any experience of traveling around the south island in a motorhome!
My parents will be coming over at the end of this year and would like to hire a motor home to see the south island.
Any advice of where to hire from or what they must see! They will be starting out from Christchurch and would like at least a 2 birth with a toilet.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks

saxman99, Jan 17, 1:32am
Me and the mrs did this for 3 weeks as part of our honeymoon, it was fantastic.Take the time and go the long way everywhere.All the way to Bluff on one side and then back up the West Coast to Golden Bay, back across through Nelson & Blenheim etc. and back to CHCH.

Awesome.

rgnbetts, Jan 17, 2:33am
Sounds good and my folks have a week more than you did. Was it in your own vehicle or where did you rent it from!

saxman99, Jan 17, 5:16am
We rented a 2 berth (no bathroom) hi-top van from BackPacker in Auckland for that trip, staying in holiday parks.We have since bought our own van, given that two trips like that cost the same in rental as the purchase price of a second-hand van.

saxman99, Jan 17, 5:22am
For South Island (Nelson though) maybe try Kahurangi Motorhomes.

http://www.tourism-nelson.co.nz/

muzz67, Jan 17, 6:50am
Pacific Horizon good to deal with.

tim8069, Jan 17, 6:55am
Please pull into slow vehicle bays when theyre offered! lol

zetec, Jan 17, 7:38am
Discover NZ in Nelson, also Christchurch do a good deal. Hired the latest 2 berth Transit last year from them, the van drove really well, had TV and DVD and much better deal than from Kea for the same van. Don't use the fresh water at dump stations to fill the drinking water tank, risk of bacteria. Motor camps have a fresh water supply at each site. Hope they enjoy it.

salbern, Dec 30, 9:07am
Get the more expensive van that you can rent - these are the newest but also have the best features.