Nissan cefiro . opinions please

cheru10, Nov 25, 1:12am
im looking at a 1994 cefiro excimo does anybody have one of these ! are they a heavy on gas usage ! for my 17yo daughters first car. help please

cheru10, Nov 25, 1:21am
forgot to add its a 2000cc v6 model

vtecintegra, Nov 25, 2:10am
Remember they're a fairly big car, so even with the small engine you can't expect cheap running.

They'll be heave on gas around town but not so bad on the open road.The 2.5 and 3l won't be any worse and are considerably nicer to drive (probably more expensive to insure for a kid though)

cheru10, Nov 25, 3:18am
please anyone had any experience with one!

next-to-normal, Nov 25, 3:56am
2000cc v6 model-- i rented one once, was very impressed with it, they do 33 mpg on the trip.heaps of tow too,car rental guy loved them, and can see why, they made a good taxi,put it this way, it wont dissapoint

cheru10, Nov 25, 4:06am
please convert to kms lol.

gman35, Nov 25, 5:04am
I would have thought that a 2l v6 in a large body would surely drink like a bar full of thirsty wharfies #6, while not being very quick at the same time,

franc123, Nov 25, 5:10am
There isn't any real reason why you shouldn't buy one, as others have said the economy advantages over the 2.5 versions are very little.If I was going to offer any advice at this stage its go and price some insurance first, many co's do not like the combo of young drivers and six cylinder cars, even small ones like Cefiros.

gunhand, Nov 25, 5:35am
HI, I currently own one (till next Tuesday) and have had it about 2 years. Its a 2ltr and is probably considered to be a hack. the paints peeling theres dents all over it as well. it was that way when I got it.It now has 184000kms on it. In the time ive had ive had to do all of the following
1,Battery(free)
2Oil and filter change, $50.00 if that.
3,Put petrol in it
4,Rarely clean it.
5,Transport one wife and 3 kids about at times.
6,Rego and warrent it. (never failed)
7,Drive it 26kms to work and back every day (now) was about 2km for a while.
8,well thats about it really.
This car has never let me down at all. It had a hard life before I got it i can asure you. Its far from perfect but everything works bar the boot lock on the boot but you dont need it with the internal opener.
Costs me about $30 to $40 a week to run as far as fuel goes, way less when I didnt have to travel.
It can tow a good load, its very comfortable and quite.
I do now notice a slight click from a CV now but its no longer a concearn to me.
SO, if you get a good tidy one you will be very happy with it I would say. Very robust and reliable car.
Start it when dead cold and listen for cam chain rattle, mine does for a second when stone cold but again has done for two years.
also when cold make sure it shifts into 2nd (asuming its an auto) smoothly. Mine jerks abit when cold but goes away when warm. also been doing that for two years,hasnt got any worse at all.
Good luck, good cars, not the fastest but not all of us care about how fast we get to 100kph but in saying that its not a real slug either.

mik721, Nov 25, 5:59am
great cars

jmkn, Nov 25, 6:13am
I had a manual 97 one for 4 years, mint car. Bit under powered but didnt bother me. Problem is with insurance, as I was 21 they were not going to insure me on a 6 cylinder. Be better off buying a pulsar. Cheep insurance, and to run.

cuda.340, Nov 25, 8:05am
i bought one for my wife but hers is a '95. it's our hack that gets left at the park n ride or Manukau city. it drives real well, nice n roomy, my 19 year old daughter drives it sometimes, she calls it a bus since she drives a AZ3 mazda, but if you want a butt ugly car that no one will steal & is cheap maintenance then yes they're a good car, just ugly.

matarautrader, Nov 25, 8:19am
We had one for about 10 years. Apart from tyres, petrol, light bulbs etc it cost us $65 for a speedo cluster. Not bad for 10 yrs and about 100,000km. It was a 2.5 litre and we got 36mpg on a trip. ( I think thats about 8 litres/100km)

snoopy221, Nov 25, 8:22am
-AND- well the auction in post #2 really says it alll.

Be the last man standing! Hi, I??

mantagsi, Nov 25, 8:41am
I had a 2l manual one, was very tidy and didnt pay much for it. A couple of warnings - water pump isn't the easiest to do, and will cost you a lot at a mechanic so make sure it has always had inhibitor in the radiator and it isn't leaking any water. Also check *any* plastic connections that carry water, especially for the heater. Fortunately it was not my cefiro with these issues, but I know of two in the same family that both had trouble because of these things. Also electrics, expect minor issues. Apart from that loved it! cheaper to run than my '73 beetle believe it or not

next-to-normal, Nov 25, 10:00am
36 mpg sounds right as we had 4 pax withbags 8 litres to the 100km or 8.5km for 33mpg

friendly_prawn, Nov 25, 10:06am
they all so have issues with starter motor needing doing before 200,000ks.mine cost $450 to replace. Cracked dash seems to be another issue with them. Mines a 1999 2L done 200,000ks, and its coming up for sale shortly. Probably going to list it at$2500 give or take.
ok cars, reasonable on gas. Just an average car that does what its supposed to.

extrayda, Nov 25, 7:01pm
I've had a 97 2.5 (same shape) for a few years, bought it at 91,000 it's now at about 170,000.I've kept up with basic servicings (almost on time :-), and had to have the front disks skimmed, and new brake pads.Very little has gone wrong, very happy with it.They are not fast, and are not cheap on petrol (about average I think).I think I've had an excellent run out of mine, so very happy with it.It's also very comfortable and smooth to drive.

vtecintegra, Nov 25, 9:43pm
Open road sure. Around town is a different matter entirely

tadpole7, Nov 26, 12:37am
i own a 1996 2 litre cefiro,160000 kms and it is a dream to drive.filled the tank in rotorua,drove to napier,then to wellington drove to lower hutt and back before i had to put petrol in it.not the fastest thing on for wheels but a realy comfortable ride.put 96 octane petrol in it really makes a differance.i used to own a 1990 maxima and this is just as nice to drive.