Towing an automatic. I have a auto skyline that i need totow aprox 30kms if i take the driveshaft off it then will not harm the

Page 1 / 2
tarshao, Nov 30, 5:43am
i have a auto skyline that i need totow aprox 30kms if i take the driveshaft off it then will not harm the trans is this right!
as i was told i may still harm it.

a.woodrow, Nov 30, 5:45am
If you take the driveshaft off it will be fine.

rover79, Nov 30, 5:52am
Can't see how you could harm it if not connected.
Think once the driveshaft is off, oil will leak out of the trans.
once you unbolt at the diff just tie it up so it can't slide back or drop down.
then there is brakes and power steering issues.

lookoutas, Nov 30, 6:04am
More info needed -
Does the engine go! If so, leave it running. Also helps the power steering and brakes.
Does it crank over! If so, wind it over every 2 or 3 km for a few seconds. Also recharges the brakes.
This is providing it's a rope tow - not solid A frame!

foxdonut, Nov 30, 6:10am
That seems like an awful lot of trouble when you could just get it transported on a trailer.

fordcrzy, Nov 30, 6:18am
i payed 80 bucks to have our car towed home (on a flat bed)from town the other day.much less hassle than a rope.

lookoutas, Nov 30, 6:43am
Stuffed that up!

You two could be right.^^
Main ingredient is ability.

jsbike, Nov 30, 6:50am
my nissan workshop manual, for a skyline says you can tow it for 30km, at a speed not exceeding 30kph.

neville48, Nov 30, 7:22am
just disconnect the driveshaft at the diff and secure it up underneath and tow it. Only nerds and geeks need power steering and power brakes man, just do it.

fordcrzy, Nov 30, 7:33am
just get a tow truck.

all the effing around with driveshafts and tow ropes and negotiating traffic etc etc.

thetron, Nov 30, 7:53am
Remember if the engine isn't running then the battery will run down pretty quickly if you need lights or windscreen wipers

intrade, Nov 30, 7:57am
i would hire a car trailer or join AA++ they then deliver your car for free from bluff to cape rienga if you wish

kazbanz, Nov 30, 9:13am
simple question --why are you towing it !--I mean if the tranz is goosed anyway then mehh who cares -damage is done

flybye_in_a_rx7, Nov 30, 9:40am
use ya mates roadside rescue. if its on the roadside!

blackdotlova, Dec 1, 12:04am
+1 do people still use ropes and muck around with the hassle

tigra, Dec 1, 12:46am
WHY! The tow I mean.

tigra, Dec 1, 12:48am
Yes you can tow most auto's just keep the speed down.

the-lada-dude, Dec 1, 1:05am
why not take the d/s off and get it towed on a transporter, then everyones happy !

the-lada-dude, Dec 1, 1:07am
hey fordcrzy, how were those beers !

elect70, Dec 1, 1:30am
What a lot of fuss . Just tow thef ing thing30 Kmsunder 50 KPHin Nwonthurt it . Towed my old Vl commiefurther than that when thecrank sensordied( 3rd one )& we were doing70 kmost of the way . Sold it at 350 k & trans still fine& untouched .

mike77, Dec 1, 4:37am
Concur, just tow it. Yes it's not perfectly ideal, but you'll be fine.
30kms is nothing to be worried about at all - if your going from Aucks to Wellington then yeah sure put it on a trailor.

fordcrzy, Dec 4, 5:45am
the starter died.just needed new bushes which i fitted in under an hour

fordcrzy, Dec 4, 5:46am
free beer is always good beer! :) cheers

the-lada-dude, Dec 4, 6:55pm
well your still alive, which is a good thing,

the-lada-dude, Dec 4, 6:57pm
i'd like to see you tip the car on it's roof frankly & tow it like that !