Question about my s14

frogs61, Dec 3, 10:56pm
Last weekend me and a few others put a sr20de motor, gear box, clutch in my 14. I bought it from osaka which was complete just had to stick it in the car. Then this weekend I was driving it felt like the clutch was slipping when I put my foot down. At one point it was making a strange noise when changing gear not a grinding noise and sometimes when I took off the car would just go fowards it self like I had my foot on the gas but I didnt and it would be all jerky. Then at the set of lights I tried taking off but it just stalled as the clutch went all funny then I stopped and couldn't go any where. I can put it in any gear even reverse with out the clutch with the car on and It wont go anywhere doesn't even grind. Would it be the clutch! When I bought the set up the guy said I should machine the fly wheel but I didn't. Thanks

I am pretty sure it is a sr20det box too not a de and I have a r200 diff , sr20det axels, subframe if that helps :L

skin1235, Dec 3, 11:02pm
are they cable clutch or hydraulic, cos it sure sounds like it has progressively wound itself out of grip, if you can change gear with no clutch then you either have stuffed linkages ( lever moving but the box internal not) or you have a maladjusted or stuffed clutch, and no, failing to machine the flywheel would not have caused such in such a short space of time

frogs61, Dec 3, 11:07pm
Yea it will not go any where even in gear with out pressing the clutch same with pressing the clutch in. I may just get a heavy duty just wanting to know that the gear box is fine

jmma, Dec 3, 11:08pm
Had rust on Flywheel and pressure plate, sounds like you have ripped the linings off the clutch plate.

skin1235, Dec 3, 11:12pm
you won't know if the box is fine until you get a working clutch back in it, you'd have to have been seriously giving it some to rip plates off due to rust so how hard were you trying to 'take off ' at the lights

skin1235, Dec 3, 11:13pm
you know this how!, rust is not the normal reason for machining the flywheel, but to be fair it was a complete unit from asaka, does that mean it had a clutch still attached to the flywheel when it arrived, ie a complete unit fan to clutch

frogs61, Dec 3, 11:14pm
Nah I was taking it easy, but the odd drop down a gear here and their lol.

jmma, Dec 3, 11:23pm
OP said it was complete unit, was there any problem when you first started it and tried to get it into gear, maybe clutch was stuck to flywheel.

jmma, Dec 3, 11:33pm
OK if this was a complete unit, why would he be told to machine flywheel by the GUY, maybe past experences of this sort of thing happening!

frogs61, Dec 3, 11:40pm
Nope no problem, well the loom had a wire cut then we fixed that but has nothing to do with clutch. It drove fine then dumped the clutch on private property going 80km and it pulled the car back a bit.

frogs61, Dec 5, 7:31am
I also can also push it while it is in 1st gear :l can anyone please help!

andrea_w, Dec 5, 7:51am
Broken fork .!

frogs61, Dec 5, 7:55am
not sure, gear boxes / clutches isn't really my area. If I took it to the machincs they should know wouldn't they!

skin1235, Dec 5, 8:38am
!

the manner in which it still drove although with noticeable fault would indicate a clutch issue
but really we are guessing, any number of things could kill the drivetrain, snapped axles, snapped pinion, split driveshaft, snapped rear shaft in box, two piece mainshaft etc, all the way forward to broken bolts on flywheel ( but that usually means the starter won't work too)

you're going to have to take it apart ( clutch) as a starter, if it's shot then thats probably as far as you go, if it is okay then you've already got the box out and you would have checked if the driveshaft and diff are okay as you were taking the box out