Subaru Brighton 1994 Question

libby64, Jan 26, 4:46am
Hi am considering buying the above mentioned car.1990cc 4wd auto. I like neither of these thing but the vehicle is in my price range and to be honest I know nothing about subaru's.Are they thirsty! Are they any good for towing! Vehicle has a good service history. Are there any known faults!

Where else can I look to buy a car other than trade me! (sorry TM)
Thank you

franc123, Jan 26, 4:51am
1/For their size, yes
2/Not particularly, the drivetrains aren't really engineered for it.
3/Thats a plus, they hate a lack of maintenance
4/More faults than you would care to know about.
5/Use your imagination, free ad papers!
6/Why buy something you don't like anyway!

libby64, Jan 26, 5:15am
Interesting didn't mean to offend you.
1. I'm not a mechanic
2. prefer manual but as auto far out number them,was wondering are they really as bad as dad said!
3. Never owned a subaru though it sounds like you have!
4. Just looking for advice from people like yourself who have nothing to gain from thier opinions.
5. Have you never asked a question!

franc123, Jan 26, 5:33am
1/Yes I realise that.
2/Yes on both counts.
3/No never owned one and wouldn't, have had bad enoughexperiences having to repair them for others.
4/Thats great, thats what the MB is for.
5/Plenty of times, and got some interesting answers too.
6/Why would I be offended!

hijacka, Jan 26, 6:43am
A++
Also poster 1 Thats a good idea picking a auto for towing, a non turbo subaru auto trans is alot stronger than its manual brother. Non turbo subaru manual gearboxs are very very weak! so stay away from them. you could how ever upgrade it to a better gearset but yeah why would you.
Edit.As long as you look after the trans, ie service it and use a cooler if required it will be ok for towing but stay away from the ej25 of that bg/bd model only choose the 2litre

ema1, Jan 26, 7:07am
Your dad is giving good advise, you'd better take notice of him!

libby64, Jan 26, 7:36am
Thanks hijacka everything I hear is so conflicting will def stay away from those you have highlited.Personally I love the toyota manual, the simplicity of the older car that even I can understand to a degree., but I need to move on upgrade by a few years so thamk you for the advice.

hijacka, Jan 26, 8:10am
No problem, I to drive a subaru and only because bang for buck they can be alot of car. But perhaps the downside to them is repairs can be costly but like any mechanic your paying 80+ per hour and some mechanic get lost under the hood but with practice and understanding there actually quite easy to repair but not easy to find a good repairer.
Also perhaps you can find a turbo model for around the same price!
I would diffenatly choose a turbo for towing over a non turbo sorry.there stronger from engine to trans and have larger brakes etc. how much are you looking at spending!

libby64, Jan 27, 7:08am
Hi Hijacka I am probably looking to spend a paultry 2500, so will be needing some good luck too!

mellisa2000, Jan 27, 10:57am
Seriously! A Subie Turbo! For towing!

pollymay, Jan 27, 11:38am
Get an old windom, camry, big nissan, commie or some other reliable tank. They suffer from traction issues uphill in the wet on chinese tyres otherwise fine. I've well exceeded the rated towing capacity on my towbar with just a 3 litre fwd toyota donk, all the while it's amazingly quiet and comfortable with torque on tap for inclines like the bombay hills and steep backroads.

Depends what you tow though, I tow my racecars with gear around. If you only want to tow a small trailer get a celica or the like. You will rarely need 4wd unless towing boats up slippery ramps and stuff. On the flipside once you start towing you start towing heavy loads you never thought you would cause it's just so handy.

franc123, Jan 27, 11:46am
lol yeah sounds like a recipe for complete meltdown doesn't it.But hey all opinions are welcome :)

silkycat, Jan 27, 8:51pm
Libby, one thing you should never assume is that the people who reply to your posts have owned, or even have any experience of, the car they are talking so 'knowledgably' about. Before you take anyone's advice, check that first. Bear in mind also that different people will have totally different experiences of the same kind of car, for a million reasons.

libby64, Jan 28, 5:08am
Thank you for all your ideas and input : )

hijacka, Feb 13, 3:06pm
Seriously what else are you going to get for 2500 for towing and daily driving that can offer more than a subaru then people!
I believe a gt Subaru will out tow a fwd Camry any day.Ive owned a 3.0L Camry with a and was only good on chewing gas and going no wear, it used abit more than a 2litre turbo Subaru not to mention excessive body roll along with lack of power and budget features.
So how about a commy then! yeah good towing car but that's about it, and for 2 and half g what are you going to get! a primered up vn or vp with cut springs and blowing blue smoke and ripped front seats! you'll have to shave all you hair off to suite the car haha.
Hay! what about a old nissan with different coloured guards and missing interior parts and the back of the car covered in unburnt fuel because its never really run right!
Come on guys your all so anti subaru. they can be a reliable car if they are treated right, Im looking at the price range and (bang for back/the hole picture here) Im Shaw that poster one doesn't wanna Lug around a big 2or3 tonne tandem trailer all day, every day. Also Subarus can be very versatile you know! and are very interchangeable from suspension/brakes/engines,gear-
boxes/diffs and interior parts.
The first thing i would be suggesting to poster 1 is as above. test drive that 1st subaru and see what you think. then if theres not miss hap and purchase was made Next would be air filter(factory filter) then auto fluid change(because know one services subarus)and filter and 5w-30 fully synthetic oil(because thats the proper grade of oil for ej20t and tt with hydrolic lash adjuster) then good secondhandbelstien suspension( because the are easy to find secondhand from GTBs and kingsprings for towing.
you will be able to get the above with the $500 left over from a 2g legacy.
I can try and pretend that i am a NASA astronaut currently sending messages from outer space or maybe even a mechanic that has been working on 1500hp dragsters for 28 years but you prob wont believe that either. But if you have a glance at a few items i have sold here on my feedback page you will see that my opinion is not from just driving cars. cheers have a great weekend all