Personalised plates question

mk3zephyr, Dec 6, 12:48am
Had some p plates on a vehicle i was selling, took quite some time to get any bites and i was going to change them once sold. Bloke rings me one Sunday and wants to look at the car, can i meet him such and such a place, anyway he buys it on the side of the road then and there so i couldnt change the plates so i thought the plates were now his. Have been told this morning that no it isnt true and i still own them and can get replacements as the car is now in a private museum and on static display. Who is right!, am i correct in assuming he owns the plates or do i still own them (was rather annoyed they were still on the car but more annoyed at myself for not changing them in time)

mk3zephyr, Dec 6, 4:05am
Rang personalised plates who put me onto an outfit called licensys who then put me onto the NZ transport registry who then put me back onto personalised plates (they have no idea what the other is on about). Yes apparantly i still own the entitlement to the plates. The plates are not on any vehicle and havnt been since i sold it. But apparantly if i am to get some new plates made then i have to put them back on the car that i sold which is rather stupid seeing as i sold the car but still own the plates. Like i say they seem to have no clue about it. Anyone in motoring had this sort of thing happen!

ceedoubleyou, Dec 6, 4:56am
I recently transferred 2 personalised plates, car 1, had normal plates and car 2 & 3 had personalised plates. Handed in car 1, normal plates, transferred car 2, p/plates to car 1 and car 3 p/plates to car 2, bought new normal plates for car 3, all up cost of just over $15, it only cost 25c to transfer each p/plate. Selling car 3.

bitsy_boffin, Dec 6, 5:13am
If the guy has the plates in his possession (and not reported stolen), then effectively he owns them IMHO due to the fact that AFAIK after a month of them being on a car he is the registered owner of he can complete a form/declaration and have the title transferred to him anyway.

So that aside, it really comes down to, does HE think he bought the plates as part of the deal.If not, go ask for them back, if he does, then I'd suggest, he does.

mk3zephyr, Dec 6, 5:22am
Car is deregistered as it is in a Private museum collection (HDT VL Commy), plates and transport agency say i still have title of entitlement to the plates

m16d, Dec 6, 5:36am
But surely if you changed the ownership the plate number would be on the change over.!

mk3zephyr, Dec 6, 5:46am
nope apparantly if you sell a vehicle with personalised plates and you own the entitlement then you have to change them over like you would the registration on a car. if you dont change the plates over to the new owner then they are still yours. If he was to get the car back on the road from his collection then he couldnt rego it in those plates as they are not his. weird huh, Bluddy red tape, Since it has been deregoe'd i can still use the plates apparantly

fordcrzy, Dec 6, 5:57am
just get a replacement set made up.say the old ones were accidentally thrown out or something.

mk3zephyr, Dec 6, 5:58am
Which is what i will more than likely do