Sold a 1992 Honda CR80

mtagati, Dec 9, 6:42pm
We placed the bike on trade me, had a some people come and view before the auction.Then at auction close these people started to bid along with some one who had not been to view the bike.The person who did not view the bike won the auction.We made arrangements, they collected on 16 Nov 2011.They had tested the bike had a good look over then loaded payed and left.Then i received a call on the 1 Dec 2011, saying that we had not listed all faults, presented me with an invoice for repairs done and now want to return the bike for a refund + the repairs and transport cost.What are my rights as a seller, and how can i be sure the bike is in the same condition and that the problems were not a result on the riding these people had done while they had the bike.

Some ides would be a great held.

graham32, Dec 9, 6:54pm
buyer beware.16 days later. they inspected the bike and used for that time, i would not stress.been there done that.

trouser, Dec 9, 7:06pm
LOL. Sex and travel would be my advice.

mugenb20b, Dec 9, 7:37pm
+10000!

mugenb20b, Dec 9, 7:39pm
Tell him where to shove it and ignore any potential abuse or threats. Let them make all the noise they like.

whqqsh, Dec 9, 7:42pm
sounds like theyve had use of your bike for a few weeks now want to get paid for it as well, also odd that faults have been fixed THEN they want return it (I could understand wanting return before faults fixed or payment for repairs BUT sold at auction so youre not required to accept either) but they bid then checked it out & took it away. tough bikkies for them IMO

74nova, Dec 9, 7:48pm
Yep, stand your ground, it's not your problem.

kazbanz, Dec 9, 8:00pm
Its a 20 year old Junior Motorcross bike. You don't buy something like that expecting it to be issue free.
UNLESS for example -you advertised the bike as JUST fully rebuilt -(Which in the CR80 is bigend bearing rod littlend piston and rings) and a mechanic has taken it to bits and found out all its had is a set of rings about 20 hours ago.
In essence what I'm saying is if you were totally truthfull in your advertising then all good its entirely their problem. If you told a few porkies you could be in a bit of trouble. .

whqqsh, Dec 9, 8:05pm
Also, in my experience, you meet one tosser every 100 trades on here (I work on 1:100 ratio being still very good when checking someones FB) & youve got 100% FB but closing on the magical 100. Ignore them & as long as you feel you were honest in your end of the trade alls cool.

bitsy_boffin, Dec 9, 9:44pm
Dear sir, in regards to the motorcycle.I believe the motorcycle was accurately described, I formally dispute liability in the manner in which you specify and will not be reimbursing or refunding any amount unless so ordered by the courts.

You may of course choose to take your case to the disputes tribunal at your cost but no further discussion will be entered into outside of that venue.

kazbanz, Dec 9, 10:11pm
Hey BB--again I just would add to your advice. PROVIDED the advert was not full of lies.
I'm happy to buy lil trail bikes based on my inspection.
But if the buyer isn;t experienced and the advert says the engine was recently reco'd or rebuilt then there is a reasonable expectation for reliability

strobo, Dec 9, 10:14pm
Its a lill Honda lol nuff said , no need to question it :)

ozz1, Dec 9, 11:42pm
verygood.!took me a minute or so.

kazbanz, Dec 10, 2:52am
nahh mon its a lil two stroke ex race honda. Totally different from the XL/xr booringly reliable honda's -those lil 80's are COMPARATIVELY highly strung lil beasties
Check out this listing for an idea - 430617855. On a regular basis you need one of those,a gasket kit and a piston/ring set. for the cr-do it and hours of trouble free riding. Dont do it and things get plenty messy.
SAY you've done it without doing at and any mechanic who's worked on em will know the job hasn't been done

bigboi22, Dec 10, 9:06pm
dont pay them a cent they bought it they own it .i sold a rm125 to sum dick they had bit caining up and down muriwai beach and spat it the next day and no way was i payn to fix it

mantagsi, Dec 10, 9:21pm
I think perhaps TM should replace the entire front page with a large-font description explaining to the numb nuts out there what exactly an auction is, and the rights & responsibilities of each party involved are. OP, stand firm and dont give in to those idiots!

kazbanz, Dec 10, 10:16pm
HECK YEA

BUT sorry to sound like a stuck record--if fraud was committed by the seller then thats a different story altogether.
Regardless of dealer or private seller there is a reasonable expectation that what a person"says" in their advert is totally true to the best of their knowledge.
i just remembered. -its actually in the TM code of conduct.
Code of conduct
This code sets out principles and behaviours that the Trade Me Community reasonably expects of buyers and sellers participating in online auctions.
Basic Principles
The Community expects buyers and sellers to:
1.Conduct themselves honestly and in good faith at all times.
2.Comply with all laws, including sale of goods and intellectual property laws.
3.Comply with Trade Me's terms and conditions.
Sellers agree to:
???Describe items fully and accurately and answer questions promptly.

moosie_21, Dec 10, 11:25pm
If I ever wanted to sell my car on here I'd think long and hard about it and put as many disclaimers in as possible, just because the sheer amount of stories I've heard like this, both here and from friends. Nobody wants to accept responsibility for their actions anymore, so they try and fob it off on the previous owner. And you know what! Every time this has happened the previous owner has told them to stuff it, and everything the new owner has tried has fallen through. So I wouldn't be worried about it all. Their just trying to see if you're a pushover and can get some of your hard earned coin off you. Thieves is what they are.

mtagati, Dec 11, 1:23am
Thanks to every body for your comments, they have certainly made me feel much better, knowing that this seems to be a problem which a lot have experienced at one point or another.I can honestly say that we had described the bike and all its faults which we were aware of on the auction.

I will make contact with TM, and see what assistance they can offer.

Thanks Again to every body.

r15, Dec 11, 7:17pm
great words of wisdom:

there is nothing more 2nd hand than a 2nd hand mx bike.

as a racer / rider there is no way i would ever even look at a bike more than 5-7 years old unless i planned to spend tons on it.

whoever thought buying a 20 year old mx bike was going to be an economical thing to do needs their head read.

also - sex and travel

mtagati, Dec 12, 4:00am
Hi All

Below is the exact words i had on my Auction:
"My Son is selling his much loved off-road, "he does not ride as much as he would have liked".

The bike runs well, but will need to have some spokes replaced and the rest tightend up.

This is quite a potent little bike with lots of guts.

Not 100% sure of the Kilo's, this field is required. "

Was i not clear enough on my advertisement of the bike!What do i need to do to improve and learn from this.One comment was to include disclaimers.

The buyer claims the bike has a very bad oil and water leak.

r15, Dec 12, 6:26pm
the way to fix this is tell the buyer what i said above.

"nothing is more 2nd hand than a 2nd hand dirt bike"

if you want one with no problems you buy a new one.

i've seen a lot newer bikes with a lot bigger problems!