S14 open diff to lsd diff question

sir-ben, Dec 17, 12:28am
hello all, i've a silvia with an open diff and it's hard to drive, so i'd like to put in a lsd as i have before with my other cars, but i can't for the life of me get a difinitive answer, and all searches i do online just bring up discussions about subframe swapping.

i've got the stock r180 open diff, will a r200 lsd with 3x2 bolt patterns bolt straight in! i was under the impression the backing plate studs are set wider apart, can anyone confirm this!

thanks all

fionabc, Dec 17, 12:45am
No it wont fit you need a r200 subframe to go with it.

frogs61, Dec 17, 1:15am
you will need a sr20det subframe also sr20det axels, I did the same conversion with r200. Also r200 is quite hard to get side ways as you need it to give it some guts due to the size of the diff if you have a de

falcon15, Dec 17, 1:27am
Yes the r200 diffs have a wider stud pattern on the backing plate to r180 diffs. you will need a r200 subframe out of either a turbo s14 or also a c34 laurel or r33 skyline. you can uses all your factory r180 arms and axles. r180 axles are slightly longer than r200 axles but still fit.

When i got my s14 it had a r180 rear end in it and i had a r200 mechanical lsd to fit so i got a bare r200 subframe from a rb20e c34 laurel and fitted that with all my original arms, hubs and axles

sir-ben, Dec 17, 4:03am
all helpfull information, thank you all - frogs, sideways would be nice but i really only need to be able to turn around on my lawn (and get up my gravel driveway) and both of these are so hard to do when any acceleration at all will break 1 wheel and just get me stuck

i suspected this was the case about the subframe swapping aswell, falcon you sound like you've done your homework, would any subframe from that family of cars fit or only the r33/s14(sr20det)/c34! i've seen some nice looking fairly priced ones here on trademe for r32's, would a r32 subframe fit with one of those lock-bars for hicas! (if necessary)

falcon15, Dec 17, 10:51pm
a r32 one will fit but it will be more hassle than a r33/s14/c34 subframe as alot of the arms are different so you would have to mix and match parts from both cars. If you end up getting a hicas one you would need all the arms and hubs off the r32 as everything is different. I would stick to finding a non hicas r33/s14/c34 subframe as theres a few around. If its from a r33 or c34 it can be out of a non turbo car they are all the same. I paid $40 dollors for my subframe