Question for mechanically minded.

scotts12, Feb 5, 12:20am
Got an old Benz.Noise from rear end.Okay in straight line and right turn but on left lockl a metal to metal grinding noise.Wheel bearing! or what ekse!

trouser, Feb 5, 12:25am
Bearing in the diff.

ema1, Feb 5, 1:27am
What year and model Mercedes Benz are we talking about here!

woki, Feb 5, 1:38am
Could be as simple as a small stone trapped somewhere .
Remove wheel and inspect .

scotts12, Feb 5, 2:49am
75 280CE Coupe

scotts12, Feb 5, 2:49am
I will let ya all know the verdict!

ema1, Feb 5, 3:04am
I'd be lifting rear of car place on stands for safety then removing rear wheels and check firstly visually if there's as woki says a stone in the disc brake possibly, then check the condition of the rear brake pads, hub bearings for wear/movement.
Check the condition of the rear suspension bushes, wear here can allow the alignment to vary and cause odd noises!
Check the possibility of bearing failure or wear in the diff itself and check the mounting of the diff itself, it could be moving around on worn/loose mounts.
There could be several reasons for the issues you are asking about, ultimately it's a "hands on" diagnoses which will/should determine the actual fault cause. Cheers.

scotts12, Feb 5, 3:33am
Thanks guys for your thoughts.

petermcg, Feb 5, 5:20am
I think you could be right that could be a wheel bearing

ema1, Feb 5, 12:11pm
Another thing trailing arm/hub bearing could be defective also.

ginga4lyfe, Feb 5, 12:39pm
its an old heavier merc, i wouldnt be surprised if one of the rear bushes have worn through and could be causing the noise

poohy99, Feb 5, 11:22pm
Yet this were the lightest chassis they made in 1975.I had a 200 sedan, a brilliant car.

scotts12, Mar 21, 10:18pm
Bushes in rear balljoint is the prognosis today.