Question about re-complying '97 L300

im_andrew, Feb 12, 10:29pm
A mate has a '97 2.5TD L300, reg cancelled and was owing around 35,000 km in RUCs.

Is it able to be re-registered! Apparently the 2.5TD models arent allowed to be imported anymore. We have proof of previous NZ REG for this, so will it be an issue! Also, do the owing RUCs need to be paid off, or would it be considered a different vehicle!

toyboy3, Feb 12, 10:51pm
RUCs need to be paid off

intrade, Feb 12, 10:53pm
first of all its the worst pile of scrap you could possibile own.
and re-registering is not just like a wof its a strip down inspection where you likely need all new brakes and disc fitted . the only thing you can skip is the emission test when you got proof it was regod in nz before. but you pay all the outstanding roaduser charges up also when you re-rego it.

intrade, Feb 12, 10:55pm
1500$ alone in ruc charges you will have to pay.

jsbike, Feb 12, 11:06pm
wind the odo back to 100km more than last wof reading.

sandypheet, Feb 13, 12:19am
Simple answer to your question is Yes.

mercbens, Feb 13, 4:07am
I've been down this path myself and they will treat it just like a fresh import, which means a strip down of interior panels and brakes, etc. Any rust at all has to have an engineers certificate to approve the repairs (which could mean a complete new factory panel for instance). The re-VIN will cost about $1500 plus all the overdue RUC's will have to be paid.
From what you are telling us it could cost between $3000 to $4000 to get it back on the road, providing nothing major is discovered at the inspection.
Check with LTSA first before buying it, could save yourself a lot of trouble.

phillip.weston, Feb 13, 5:02am
$3000-4000 to get back on the road! no way! If it is in good up to WOFable condition then it should be no more than $1000-1200, given that the first 6 months reg for a diesel commercial vehicle will be $400 alone. The check itself will be $400, plus it will probably need new brake pads/shoes and any other work needed. I put through a '97 Legnum to be re-vinned and I think all up it cost under $1000.

mercbens, Feb 13, 8:16am
Don't forget that the RUC is overdue

phillip.weston, Feb 13, 8:30am
Ah yes I only just realised that now. Perhaps it isn't worth putting back on the road.

im_andrew, Feb 13, 9:48am
Shit thanks guys, you just saved us a hell of a lot of money. Looks like its off to the wreckers

jono2912, Feb 13, 9:52am
Unless you like to wind.

franc123, Apr 13, 10:09pm
Before getting hung up on costs, the two things I would be looking at here is it's overall condition, especially structurally, and what it would cost to buy one in similar condition/kms that is already road legal.Even with outstanding RUC to pay if there was even $1-2K saving to be made after going through recompliance it would be worth it.Its not like used commercial vehicles can be had cheaply in NZ, if they are cheap they are stuffed!Assuming no major work or parts replacement needs to be done, $2500 would probably cover it.