Question For Mitsi Owners(With GDI Engines)

mandanz, Dec 27, 1:26am
Do You Know Of Any Common Issues With These Engines! Or Have You Had Any Issues Small/Big With Your GDI Engine That You Feel Is Due To Fault With Engine Rather Than How Your Car Is Driven/Treated/Maintained!
We Are Looking To Buy A Mitsi Legnum Wagon Which Has The 1800 GDI Engine But Have Been Told By 2 People To Stay Away From GDI Engines As They Seem To Fault/Have Issues Alot. Any Legnum Owners Here Find That!Thanks :)

jasongroves, Dec 27, 1:49am
Wow.that's a lot of capital letters.lol.
GDI engines don't like our crap fuel very much which can cause well known issues.
Type in GDI in the search box on the left and have a look for yourself.
The 1.8 is too small anyway for the Legnum, it really does need something bigger to move it along.

ryanm2, Dec 27, 1:49am
Stay away and buy a VW Passat. Also, whats the need for capitals on every word!

thejazzpianoma, Dec 27, 1:55am
Further to what jasongroves said,

If you do buy one you HAVE to have run it on BP Ultimate 98 Octane (which is entirely suitable for that engine), if you don't, not only will economy suffer but the engine will foul up over time until it gets to a point where it fails and costs a heap to rectify.

Unless you are prepared to run BP Ultimate all the time don't buy one.

This will solve most but not all of the issues associated with a GDI engine.

alan1111, Dec 27, 2:02am
27 years in the trade here. Stay away from the bloody things. You will have nothing but trouble with them unless you got a big bank account for the repair bills you WILL get.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 27, 2:07am
Can't argue with that!
VW Passat 1.8T or Audi A4 (same mechanical s different bodyshell) is a great choice in a similar price bracket. Very reliable, parts are well priced and they are a quality product that has been well put together. Lovely to drive with plenty of go and good on fuel for size/power.

There are a couple of tricks to picking a good one though, so if you decide thats what you wan't come back for a run down on what to look for.

n3d4sp3d, Dec 27, 2:34am
GDI = Guaranteed Dealer Income, running them on 98 does help but they still eat plugs and leads and also fowl up throttle bodies and intake manifolds with EGR also the models fitted with electronic controled throttle bodies always crap out

phillip.weston, Dec 27, 2:38am
The 1.8 GDI is perhaps better than the 2.4 GDI in terms of reliability (ie 1.8 doesn't burn oil/clog up the intake as much as the 2.4 does). I would find an NZ-new Galant wagon with the 2.0 SOHC engine - has about the same power but more torque and probably just as efficient on fuel at the end of the day. The 1.8 is marginal in the Galant sedan but just pitiful in the heavier Legnum wagon.

m16d, Dec 27, 4:36am
Well I hate to piss on the Mitsa haters lollies, but our 2.4 GDI has now done 131000 with no problems at all.
The cambelt changed and throttle body cleaned out at a hundred thou.
And at least the cost of parts isn't horrendous like them euro cars.

phillip.weston, Dec 27, 4:42am
wait til around 160-180,000kms when it will start burning oil :P

n3d4sp3d, Dec 27, 4:47am
after seeing the amount of cars with these mongrel engines in them be towed into our work shop i wouldn't reccomend any one to buy one and avoid them with the longest barge poll you can find

jfstyle, Dec 27, 7:00am
i owned one and it was a oil burning plug fouling lemon of a car.i know of no one that hasn,t had trouble with one.if you own one and you get told the ingniter has failed .it is just the stem burntout.a thirty dollar part.

m16d, Dec 27, 7:19am
If it craps itself at 180 thou it will have served us well and I will just go buy another one.

icemans1, Dec 27, 11:01am
don't do it, been there, done that - NEVER again

guest26, Jul 22, 9:35pm
Apparently Mitsubishi workshops are capable of blasting gdi engines out to clean up the crap built up in them a much cheaper clean out than removing heads etc!