Question about learners driving licences

selvetarm, Dec 27, 7:55am
I had a quick look down the thread list but didn't see anything that applied to my inquiry. So! I was wondering if perhaps someone could help me.

I have a learners motorcycle licence (or a Class 6 licence). I've had this for a number of years as I drove a small motorcycle. I now need to get a car very soon so I will be shortly going for my learners car licence (Class 1). I am over 25 and will probably be getting defensive driving lessons to shorten my time on restricted to three months.

My question is, as I have held a learners motorcycle licence for several years, will this time period impact on the wait period between me being able to sit for a restricted car licence! At the moment I believe the law says that you must have your learners licence at least 6 months, no matter your age, before applying for restricted. I guess what I am asking is, will I have to wait another six months on a learners Class 1, when I have already had a learners Class 6 for several years!

Cheers to all.

unbeatabull, Dec 27, 8:10am
6 months till you can sit restricted, then 12 months or 6 months with defensive driving to sit your full. As far as I understand your other licenses won't/don't impact on time periods for other licenses.

selvetarm, Dec 27, 8:20am
Thanks everyone for your answers.

tonyrockyhorror, Dec 27, 8:28am
Yes, they're totally separate.

smac, Dec 27, 8:53am
Incorrect. The OP's original information on wait times is correct.