Help with Honda Accord expensive headlight bulb

Page 1 / 2
patsy3, Dec 28, 11:42pm
Any advice appreciated. I failed my WOF, as the bloke said the bulbs were inconsistant. One is blue, the other white. I had one replaced about 18months ago at an exhorbatent price of over $200 I think. So I have been through at least 3 WOF ok, did use a different place this time. He said I need to get matching colours. (the intensity is ok he said). Any advice is appreciated, probably don't have receipt from auto electrictian, and it was ages ago. Can I buy the bulbs in NZ to replace! I will try my luck at Auto electriction when they open up.

scotty20001, Dec 28, 11:45pm
yeah Accords are really cheap to run, brilliant cars, not!

neo_psy, Dec 28, 11:50pm
Whoops.

Repco should have them.

intrade, Dec 28, 11:51pm
um go to another wof place that passes it .

gadgit3, Dec 28, 11:56pm
At that price they must be HID bulbs. These can't just be replaced with a standed head light bulb. As they age the color changes so if you replace one you should replace the other because of the WoF issues. expensive job tho but there are after market HID bulbs out there.

gunhand, Dec 28, 11:58pm
You can pay big money for some bulbs but shouldnt be anywhere near $200.
Someone either ripped you off or didnt pay alot af attention to what they were doing. Just go into Repco etc and price them up for your model and see. Its an easy enough job to replace yourself most times. One side can be harder than other due to some thigs in the way though.

trouser, Dec 29, 12:00am
Wow. Post of the year for scotty!

gadgit3, Dec 29, 12:01am
Some HID units are a pain in the rear end to replace the bulbs because of the inverters and HT leads

gunhand, Dec 29, 12:07am
What model! accords covered a few years, late model ones may be a bit more expnsive than a 20yo one.

mugenb20b, Dec 29, 12:10am
You're in the wrong thread Scotty. This one is about head light bulbs.

patsy3, Dec 29, 6:10am
Thanks for your advice folks. I think they are HID. Have had two go in the past, and similar price from different garages, so I think it was a fair price. Might be it's the older one that is losing it's blue. Both garages compained they were a b1tch to replace like gaget said. Will try to warm up the bulbs to see if they change colour. Only a 1997 model, so not flash for sure.
Need a new car.

phillip.weston, Dec 29, 6:13am
Go get a price for a HID bulb for a Commodore and then come back and say they are expensive to run.

phillip.weston, Dec 29, 6:14am
although perhaps being a '97 model it may be one of the Accords which requires the removal of the front bumper to remove the headlamp itself, though you would think there would be access at the rear to replace a bulb!

morrisman1, Dec 29, 6:17am
scotty's supercharged barge probably has whale blubber fuelling the headlights. Hes just green that he doesnt have an accord

mileyfan73, Dec 29, 8:16am
scotty you're an idiot.Accords are one of the most reliable cars ever made,especially the 94-97 model.Pick on cars that deserve a bad rap if you must,like Ladas or old Skodas!

jasongroves, Dec 29, 8:28am
I would like to know this too.

jasongroves, Dec 29, 8:29am

treachug, Dec 29, 10:18am
great idea - he will be gone for a while trying to find that.lol

utwo, Dec 29, 10:51am
Half the bill was probably for labour. Access to the headlight for bulb replacement is via the front wheel well (remove wheel, remove inner guard).

jasongroves, Dec 29, 10:56am
For which model Accord is that!

texastwo, Dec 29, 11:04am
I thought that this wouldnt work as the fail is now in the computer database for this carand will show up when another garage tests it! Be nice if it would work as my car recently had a fail for something that has never been spotted before despite it passing 7 WoF for me previously.

utwo, Dec 29, 9:50pm
Accord Euro.

bigfatmat1, Dec 29, 10:44pm
I have never had to do that!

edangus, Dec 29, 11:10pm
Go to Honda and get a quote. Their prices are suprisingly competiive

tuttyclan, Dec 29, 11:13pm
If its a 1997 CD Accord (LXi,VTi, VTi-S) it should have a normal bulb (not HID),it should be the the one with the flat end that plugs in and should be reasonably easy to take out the headlight unit too do it.Are you sure its not the outside (polycarbonate) lens as they can fade in the sun and cause problems.Older cars had glass lenes and did not have those problems.