Brakes question patrol master and s5 rx7 discs

bellky, Jan 4, 8:15pm
i had a very similar problem on my rx2 with standard brakes.

to cut a long story short. you know the outlets on the master cyl, well there are 2 little plate like cups in there and 1 has a hole in it and one does not. the 1 with the hole has to be in the outlet to the front brakes and the plain flat 1 without the hole needs to go to the rear brakes, otherwise you can't bleed the rear brakes.

anyway this is what happened to me - would be sweet if it was the same problem you have.

steve312, Jan 5, 4:30am
Try clamping all of the hoses and get someone to put pressure on the pedal as you release each of the hose clamps.Will show you which one is providing the excess travel when the pedal drops an excessive amount.Have seen a few like this where the pads aren't sitting in the holder correctly and the pads are bending under hydraulic pressure then flexing back when the pressure is released.First job is to work out where all the travel is though.

marmatt, Dec 29, 10:50pm
has anyone had problems bleeding up a patrol master cyclinder , it has the valves taken out to run in discs,when we try to bleed the rear it does this http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=qOSRbl0eFUMpumps put the fluid and then when you take your foot off it lets all the fluid back into the masterand it goes spungy. now it was doing this from the beginnign so i put a 3 mm washer inbehind the circlip to bring it forward a bitand after i changed the rear beake lines ( cert man wanted them with hoses not bundy ) they were sticking on so removed the washer and tis back to this.
yet when we block off the out let ports there is no travel in the master at all.
any thoughts

budgel, Dec 30, 3:42am
Dont know Patrols specifically, but my understanding is that the fluid has to come back into the master cylinder when you take your foot off the brake, or the brakes would stay on.

I dont think it is a master cylinder problem.

Check one brake at a time to see that it is operating with foot on pedal, if they are Ok I would check your brake hoses to see whether they are expanding.

Check your booster.

bruceeeeee, Dec 30, 6:50am
What year Patrol!

marmatt, Dec 30, 9:43am
y60up to 77

bellky, Dec 30, 8:38pm
search rotahavik and ausrotary. this comes up often - usually the calipers' bleeders are not uppermost when fitted and there is still air in the system

bruceeeeee, Dec 30, 9:28pm
Check if there is an equalizer with a bleeder on it.
Could be located inside the right chassis rail approx in line with the drivers seat

bellky, Dec 30, 9:30pm
the car is an rx3 hombre

sr2, Dec 31, 12:19am
Sounds like the most plausible answer to me. If there is still air in the rear callipers its worth taking a pad out and reverse bleeding the system. If you don??

bellky, Dec 31, 2:53am
this is a guess here but the s5 rx7 discs will be on the front and it could still have drums on the back!

marmatt, Dec 31, 3:02am
Disc's allround, Bleed everyway possible, But pedal stil goes soft once bleed up, Who no's, Havik sux, Asked on aus rotor, Master going into shop next year.