Motorbike mechanical question

nzshooter01, Dec 31, 9:25pm
good point about fuel tank vent, check that first

rugbgurl1, Jan 1, 2:37am
normally putter round town for 15 mins or so to warm her up properly then take it out into the countryside, only done it twice though as now scared of getting stuck in the wilderness, when it occurs it usually runs fine after a good 15 minute break, not sure on fuel i've mostly had a full tank when i go out into the country, checked the carb for dirt etc and cleaned then, checked the breather pipe for the fuel, seems clean too,

richard198, Jan 1, 3:24am
I'm still with kazbanz on this. I've come across quite a few bikes whose pulse coils stop working when they get hot. As your mechanic said; they either work or not. In your case (it would seem) not when it's hot.
Do as desmo says;pull the plug when it dies and confirm no spark.
Then let mechanic try a new coil.

graham32, Jan 1, 3:24am
It will be the source/pick up coil.common problem and easy fix with new source/pick up coil.

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 1, 4:04am
Bikes break tank vacuum through the filler cap itself.

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 1, 4:05am
That'd be my guess too - the trigger is flakey. But we can't test from here so the OP needs to do it. But I feel this will simply be a parts replacement exercise for her.

rugbgurl1, Dec 31, 1:08am
my fxr 150 dies after about an hour after riding,simptoms include losing power then feels like its being starved of air or fuel,i've been told its the coil that could be buggered as when it gets warm it doesn't work, i've just asked the guy at suzuki and he reacons the coil either works or doesn't and then suggested i take my bike in, is he just saying this to get some business so they can 'troubleshoot' it or should i just put a new part in and hope its that

kazbanz, Dec 31, 1:13am
rugbygurl- some questions for you.
How long after that 1 hours runningis it back to "normal!'
Is it actually 1 hor or more like 15 minutes- half an hour!
What sort of riding do you do-slow/low rpm or country high rpm! -does it make a difference!
Does the fuel level make a difference!
When was the bike last serviced!

With the info YOU have given I reckon the CDI or the coil are breaking down when hot but there are other options

NZTools, Dec 31, 1:13am
The "randomly throw new parts at it" method, will cost you a lot more than the "pay a professional for a diagnosisthen buy one part" method.

tonyrockyhorror, Dec 31, 1:27am
Test, don't guess.

desmodave, Dec 31, 2:44am
Take the spark plug out when it dies and test to see if it still has spark.If its dead you can eliminate fuel & or air from the problem.

barnyg, Dec 31, 3:49am
does it have a breather pipe for the petrol tank! if so check it is not blocked or kinked in some way