AU FALCON auto

brokebloke1, Dec 31, 8:25pm
before ripping it out id be checking the fluid level it sounds like it low.

stevexc, Dec 31, 8:51pm
My EB2 did something similar and the problem went away when I cleaned and adjusted the throttle position sensors.

The transmission computer (older V8s have seperate ECU and TCU) thought that I had my foot to the floor the whole time so it never changed in to 4th.

therafter1, Dec 31, 8:53pm
Is the engine running at the correct operating temperature. Many modern autos won't engage O/D until a certain engine temp is reached.

bwg11, Jan 1, 1:14am
Absolutely correct. Your problem may be no more than a failed sensor (or bad connection).

unbeatabull, Jan 1, 1:29am
They should still change into 4th when cold. Only Overdrive/Torque converter lockup sometimes won't go in if they are cold

kingfisher21, Jan 1, 1:30am
Or the inhibit switch on the side of the trans, it's not just there for preventing starting in gear and reverse lights, it tells the ECU what position the lever is in, these are very common for failing, last one I had to buy was around $120 new from Ford.

bus222, Dec 31, 4:42am
Au falcon trans wont change into 4th or overdrive,1st,2nd,3rd and reverse all work and it drives good as gold.I do have another trans for it but does anyone know if it mite be a easier fix than changing whole trans.thanks

unbeatabull, Dec 31, 4:47am
It's one of those jobs you won't know until you pull it apart. It could be as simple as a solenoid or leaking seal/o-ring/gasket/servo etc, or it could be more serious like clutch packs, valve body etc. I've rebuilt a lot of 4 speed falcon trans's at work so would offer to have a look but your on the wrong island

bus222, Dec 31, 4:53am
thanks,I know the trans ive got is a good one so I will just do the change over.

unbeatabull, Dec 31, 4:55am
Yup, fairly easy to do on them as well. Standing record at work is 2.5 hours for a trans swap and out the door on one of them at work! It was Xmas Eve and in a rush to drink some fluid though and was the last job of the day! lol.

Make sure ya chuck fresh fluid and filter in it first.

bus222, Dec 31, 5:02am
I think it will take me a bit longer than that,LOL Im told that the trans in it has not long been done up.

unbeatabull, Dec 31, 5:43am
They're pretty straightforward, starter motor can be a little pain in the ass to get the top bolt out - do it first before bottom one so its not taking the weight of the starter. Make sure you mark the Driveshaft and any weights on it at the Diff end so they go back on the same spot. Other then that its all pretty straightforward, once you remove the rear trans mount you can get a long extension with universal onto all the bolts on the bellhousing. And remember to undo the torque converter!

bus222, Dec 31, 6:58am
thats a bit more professional than last one I took out,lol Tip car on side,undo everything,tip back on wheels,then lift body off with digger,.put motor into stockcar.thanks for the info.

mk3zephyr, Dec 31, 7:52am
bloody rough stockcar drivers lol