Car accident, rights for both parties.

Page 2 / 2
mrfxit, Mar 16, 9:12pm
FIRST . Take a set of photo's of the car "as it is NOW"

Have another look at #12 & #19
Write up an agreement with the details as oulined in those 2 msg's & show her you are willing to agree to THAT statement.
Do this WITH an independant witness.

If she won't agree, then tell her it will have to be a "small claims court" hearing to get it sorted.
At the court, make sure you have the witness available to show you offered a reasonable solution to getting the repair done promptly.

It would be highly unlikely that the court would go against you & would most likely order her to allow you to repair the car "as per agreement" offered before.

You could also make a copy of this thread showing that you are willing to repair & have it inspected by a pro if not correct.
Save a copy of the TM web link as well.

mrfxit, Mar 16, 9:20pm
Several of the posters in this thread already have extensive long term automotive (car sales/ mechanics/ auto repairs/ panel beating/ auto electrical/ engine reconditioning) experence combined spanning something like 100 years & individually upwards of 40 years.
We know what we are talking about (we know who "we": are)

tigra, Mar 16, 9:26pm
"Upwards of 40 years" .probably intrade is 90+but after 40 years most are looking for their Super envelope.

robell, Mar 16, 9:28pm
Sorry your wrong on this one, the damaged party has the right to take it to who they want to repair it (as long as it is reasonable) I have tested this in the disputes tribunal when my car was damaged and the other party refused to pay because i did not use their repairer. They were ordered to pay all costs.

mrfxit, Mar 16, 9:43pm
Some of us started in the automotive trade before we could physicly drive, (never mind legally drive)

mrfxit, Mar 16, 9:44pm
So you are saying that you didn't start till you were about 25 to 30 years old!

Bit of a "late bloomer" if thats the case.

superdave0_13, Mar 17, 1:04am
If doing it yourself is going to save you $500 then why not offer your flatmate $250 of it and make it win/ win. At the moment you will be the only one benefiting from taking the cheaper route.

mrfxit, Mar 17, 1:34am
Agreed .
Now if only the victim would see it that way. (blond females need a different approach)

elect70, Mar 17, 2:36am
she had the oppurtunity to make an insurance claim but didntso its your right to fix it as good as it was .Unless it needs to be painted same colourthen take it topb .

nexstar, Mar 17, 4:19am
Agreed. After the door is fitted I would be willing to take it to a pb if there was any problem i.e. paint needs blending in etc.

lookoutas, Mar 17, 4:43am
This is typical of us needing more than a 6th sense.
First off - have you been lucky enough to find a door the same colour! (Which would've been a good idea, seeing as it sounds like a 'sow's ear' already)

If not, it will cost about $300 at the cheapest to paint inside & out. To do this, it will need stripping of rubbers etc. and the lock barrel will need changing. (But we don't know if it's front, back or tail door.

$500 to change a door is a rip-off, considering it should be not much more than an hours labour. But if it needs stripping out and painting. that's about it.

FFS give all the facts, otherwise you will only get useless assumptions.

nexstar, Mar 17, 5:07am
I think that is the result she wants. But I would rather see that right thing is done in this situation. I'm going to stick to my guns of making a reasonable offer to have the car repaired to as good a condition or better than it was before the accident. I'll post the outcome for all to read once it is all resolved.

mrgts4, Mar 17, 5:24am
Flog her keys one dy when she is out and do it as a 'surprise' If its not up to standard then take it to the panelbeater.

loonee-dial-111, Jul 11, 5:27am
Sounds like her standard will have nothing to do with the quality of the repair, and everything to do with who did it. Which is reasonable if you assume that she has no idea what a good repair looks like, and also explains why she might not want to decide whether it is up to standard.
She has got the impression the OP can not do a quality job at some point and it's hard to undo that given she has no way to prove otherwise. If this is correct, the only option is to get it checked. Friendly panel beaters! Or you could offer to take it for a WOF afterwards!