Honda 2.2 auto SW

thelms, Jan 8, 9:28am
These wagons any good, and what would the fueleconomy be like! 437000247

moosie_21, Jan 8, 9:31am
It's not a V6 auto Holden, you shouldn't buy it

(Sorry, inside joke here on the MB. Wait for someone more knowledgeable than me to turn up.)

franc123, Jan 8, 9:35am
By and large yes they are good, as with anything a good checkover by a pro is a good idea, walk away from anything that doesn't look like its had good service, dirty coolant and trans fluid especially are walk away signs.Give it a good road test, preferably from cold, and pay attention to the trans, any delayed or harsh shifting either up and down are not good signs.And of course ask about when the cambelt was done last.Economy is about average for that sort of vehicle, probably 7-11L/100km.

mugenb20b, Jan 8, 9:49am
Very, very good. But, sometimes transmissions can crap out if not serviced from time to time (TQ95 is a good trans oil, or genuine Honda). Engines have two cambelts which need replacing every 100 000 kms. Fuel economy 10L/100km on average. Very comfortable, nice cars to drive.

trdbzr, Jan 8, 9:54am
Good reliable car, a mate of mine used to have a 96 Accord Lxi and he got 240,000km out of his one before he sold it. Fuel efficiency isn't bad. Like others have said, the auto trans can give problems if it hasn't been maintained properly.

a18a, Jan 8, 10:13am
make sure all the heater controls and stuff work too, quite a common & annoying failure on those

fordfan62, Jan 8, 11:33am
Had a 94 exli leather kiwi made did 255000km,no issues with auto or motor,fuel similar to my xr6 on trips,slightly better in town,not much though,good to drive,although 4 door.

thelms, Jan 8, 9:11pm
Thanks good advice, I may just ask and see what they say about the fuel economy. This is not really a car I would go for but wife really likes the shape and the fact its a wagon.

hi-ling, Jan 8, 9:46pm
I have a NZ new model, manual, thats done 495,000kms and had nothing done to her other than routine services, 3 cambelts and 2 cv's. treated right the motors are great.

kazbanz, Jan 8, 10:02pm
thelms.--Really franc and Mugen have covered it off pretty well.
I've traded in a few of them that have clearly had a hard life and they have been mechanically sound.
They are virtually identical mechanically to the 94-97 model Honda odyssey.The only issues I've encountered have been the typical issues with older big honda's --worn out switches for windows and soft shock absorbers

mugenb20b, Jan 8, 11:16pm
Another option for you could be Honda Orthia (2WD), or its more basic twin brother Honda Partner.

stevexc, Jan 9, 2:33am
I had the 2.2 DOHC vtec model, it wasn't that great on gas.About 9km pe litre around town.Still it was one of the best cars I've ever had.

Would have been a combination of the "performance" engine, automatic transmission and the weight of the car.

I suspect the SOHC vtec would be much better on gas.

We replaced it with a 2.0 facelift Orthia S.It's just as quick and gets over 10km per litre around town.

thelms, Jan 17, 9:23am
Ok just been offered FPO of $2000 for the Honda US wagon should I go for it! I have not viewed or spoken to owner, just a couple of questions only.

mileyfan73, Jan 17, 9:44am
Always advisable to try and view the car first if you can,just to check things like it having nice green antifreeze in the radiator,not rusty brown sludge,and look for any service stickers as to when it last had the oil changed and cambelt done.Great cars though,I've had three of them,current one is upto 312000 ks and have had no issues with any of them.Wouldn't get anything better for the money.

rjgmjs, Jan 17, 9:54am
A cuzzie rear ended another car at the lights recently, wrote off the Honda Station Wagon and got $350.00 for it from the scrappies.

mugenb20b, Jan 18, 5:31am
ALWAYS view the car before parting with your money.