Which petrol is best!

Page 2 / 3
nzmax, Feb 21, 6:56am
My parents and myself have been using 91 from Mobil, as it is the only station in our town, in our lawnmowers for 11+ years. Both those lawnmowers are still going, and other than the usual oil changes and the odd tune up/new sparkplug they still run like a dream. Both have never had anything replaced in the carb, infact I still have copies of all the invoices/receipts for mine. My neighbours have an 8year old lawnmaster reel mower and use Mobil 91, and have done since it was new. They do the recommended oil changes, and have changed the spark plug 3 times. Its had no other work done to it at all.

jmma, Feb 21, 7:38am
Mobil Oil New Zealand Limited has been selling ethanol-blended petrol at selected service stations in the greater Wellington region since mid 2008. Service stations selling ethanol-blended petrol can be found using our service station locater

Just checked Mobil website, This is what it said, so looks like only a Wellington problem

welshdude, Feb 21, 8:10am
Disagree. I have an 02 Mondeo and have tried it several times with 95. Goes just as well with 91.

cautis, Feb 21, 9:04am
I can do with an extra 30+k's!

jasongroves, Feb 21, 9:06am
Which engine!
It ALWAYS pays to use what is recommended by the manufacturer:)
Which, in the case of the 2002 Mondeo, all petrol engines have 95 RON as a minimum recommendation:)

welshdude, Feb 21, 9:15am
Duractec 2 litre. How do you know about the 95 rating! There's no sticker on the filler cap and nothing in the handbook.

gilligan2, Feb 21, 9:16am
I run my 1000cc daihatsu diesel on 98.

im_andrew, Feb 21, 9:21am
Good on ya, Hope you are pouring a healthy dose of engine oil in there too, or your injector pump wont last long at all.

gilligan2, Feb 21, 9:23am
Ben running on that for atleast two years now. Goes way harder. What octane is diesel anyway!

morrisman1, Feb 21, 9:28am
diesel has a cetane rating based on the speed of its flame front from what I remember

im_andrew, Feb 21, 9:30am
Its a light fuel oil, its different to petrol and I dont think it has a RON rating. I could be corrected on that though.

Diesel injector pumps need diesel running through them for lubrication, I would guess yours is pretty well shagged by now.

jasongroves, Feb 21, 9:31am

bigracket, Feb 21, 10:13am
Hey Jase can you put up a link forthe specs for a 97 stagea rb25de !

jasongroves, Feb 21, 10:15am
What specs are you after!
Not sure if I have any RB stuff but will check for ya;)

bigracket, Feb 21, 11:56am
Mainly the oil they recommend just out of interest, and the rec fuel! don't look to hard if you don'thave.

richms, Feb 21, 8:47pm
Heaps of dealers stuck those stickers on cars because ignorant NZ buyers think that the difference in fuel costs is a significant factor when buying a car so would op for one with the 91 sticker on it.

Try better ones, give it a couple of tanks to see what its like and compare your usage, and how well it goes at lower revs up hills. I know with 91 in my old skyline it would have to be virtually floored and screaming along at 4000+ RPM to get any movement up a hill, on 98 it would hold a higher gear and not sound so goddamn pathetic, and as a result it would chew thru less fuel.

richms, Feb 21, 8:48pm
I do, but thats mainly because I am filling all the cans at the same time as the car when I get one of the 20c off vouchers from buying lots of booze at countdown.

julian.walls, Feb 22, 1:20am
"All Petrol comes from the same source - Very True. When I used to work for Caltex as Company Rep; ( my territory was 2 chief areasI covered 72 Service Stations from Wellington City to Raetihi ) Shell and Caltex would often work together and help each other out (remember the defunct Caltex-Shell Starcard) in Palmerston North down Kevin Grove off Tremaine Avenue in 1989-1992 (when I worked in the region) the time when Unleaded 91 was the new fuel (we still had leaded 96 then) Shell would regularly run out and borrow some of ours and occassionally we would theres (this was an understanding through the entire country) - Basically fuel the same but different combination of additives - with Caltex we used to add an additional red dye - this was mainly to distinguish Caltex 4 stroke fuel from the 2 stroke used in motorcycles - some of our dealers ( a lot were a bit thick) had the dispensers side by side and often the wrong fuel would go in.

As which is best depends on what the manufacturer of your car recommends!
My 2 cars of which are coming classics seems to run well on 96 (thank god I got Harded Valves) but new 'unleaded fuel' seems to attack the rubber hoses in the injectors a lot more - BP 98 i felt was pretty good gave a good pickup
I recommend regularly add some additives to your fuel - particularly injector ones as injectors regularly get clogged
As Old Former Caltex Man the Techron additive in fuel I used to be more biase to that - now days i don't have a favourite

Oil companies did work together for their mutual benefit ( there is little known American Chamber of Commerce based in CHCH thats very hush hush) but some cases Oil companies were blamed for Price fixing often Dealers themselves from competitive service stations would over a beer set the price this often happened in Kapiti area during time i was there

Cheers Julian

jasongroves, Feb 22, 8:58am
5W-30, 10W-30 ,10W-40 or 15W-40. 4.2-4.4L including filter.
Not sure of API rating sorry, but I would recommend SJ or better.
From memory, 95 is recommended.

jezz43, Feb 22, 11:22pm
i got a mazda astina(94) 1800 Dohc. runs like a bag of s*&t on 91. and only does about 450kms to teh tank on 91. fuel pump crapped itself last week and it started pinking. replaced pump and ran on a mix of 98 and force 10. runs a hell of alot better now and doesnt pink. also getting closer to 600kms to teh tank

321mat, Feb 23, 2:11am
All Jap imports used to run on 100 Octane when they lived in Japan.

And besides, you have a turbo - to prevent holing a piston, use AT LEAST 95.

All Subaru handbooks state that ONLY the single cam EJ20 motors can use 91 - everything else should run on 95

johnf_456, Feb 23, 2:42am
95 for sure, 91 is shit IMHO

gilligan2, Feb 23, 3:35am
I run my morris marina van 1300 on aviation fuel

jasongroves, Feb 23, 3:36am
No. Some, yes.but not all.

truegenius, Feb 23, 8:20pm
Ive found 98 biofuelwas good for my old car .but as other posters say its really what the manufacturer recommends.it didnt go to well on 91 and 95.problems with idle and surging on the lower grades.use whateverthe car runs best on would be my advice .you will notice a difference either idling or when accelerating.also depends on what it was running when it was tuned.