RUC , Outstanding debt liability .

im_andrew, Feb 24, 10:12am
Take the inspector a box of beers when you take the car in for WOF.

franc123, Feb 24, 10:47am
I don't know where people get this idea that RUC's are a WOF issue, they aren't and never have been, we don't give a stuff about how much debt you are in or who you are trying to offload it on to.
RUC's involve current registered vehicle owners and NZTA and nobody else.

clickityclick, Feb 24, 11:33am

smac, Feb 24, 7:08pm
Ya but the issue is you enter a current odo reading, and that gives the NZTA compliance guys a heads up you're behind. Until then they don't know unless they see the vehicle.

rovercitroen, Feb 24, 7:14pm
So with the above mentioned Rover the owner has been paying for 1000k of RUC but travelling 1610 km (1000 miles) for that price. I wonder how the law works. Does this mean that for this Rover there is thousands of kms of unpaid RUC owing!

intrade, Feb 24, 7:18pm
what ever is owing is passed to the new owner when sold.

illusion_, Feb 24, 7:38pm
It sure does. And sooner or later someone (whoever owns it at the time) is going to get saddled with that debt

daryl14, Feb 25, 5:19am
I have personally gotten out of back paying RUC when I pointed out to NZTA that they had on file all previous owners names and amount of KM travelled in the vehicle. Was probably a one off deal and I wouldn't like to go through it again. The best way would be to ring NZTA and get an assurance or if not get the owner to update his RUC as a condition of sale.

kiwigal007, Feb 25, 5:25am
What should I do if the vehicle's RUC licence has expired!

The Road User Charges Act 1977 requires a vehicle that is subject to RUC to have a valid RUC licence when a new owner takes possession. If it doesn't, the seller is committing an offence, and the new owner becomes liable for the outstanding fees. It's recommended that unpaid RUC is taken into account when establishing the sale price. The NZTA doesn't become involved in these negotiations.

RUC licences can't be transferred to another vehicle. If you've got an unused RUC licence that is not sold with the vehicle, you can request a refund on the unused portion if you surrender the licence.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/41/buying-and-selling.html

woki, Feb 25, 11:22pm
Sounds like it would be best to leave it . LTSA have said that if the owner is aware that they are duping the system it is fraud and the units purchased must match the distance recording devive .
Our mileage we buy is converted back before we get the label . IE we pay for 10000km units and we get 6000 miles showing on license label . I do hope the next buyer is aware of the problem .
The RUCs wil go go back all the way to when the car was first registered .
$1000 of $$$ owing , Scary thought , buying a $4000 car and inheriting 1000s of $$ debt .

Caveat emptor ( buyer beware )

ozz1, May 27, 2:58pm
just car jammed and says only owing about 7794miles.!"RUC distance may have exceeded. The expiry is at 145,872 Miles (odometer) with an estimate current odometer reading of 153,666 Miles."but does "state undetermable!.