Auto Sparky

vitaminh, Jan 9, 8:15am
HI guys. I installed a new head-unit today. I stoopidly did not disconnect the battery and must have touched metal and popped a couple of 10amp fuses. So replace them no issues and made most of the stuff that stopped work again. The problem is that the interior lights and door lights apart from two of them, are not going and the bulb that makes the dash light up is also not going. It is not the fuses cause as I said two of them are still working. I thought I may have blown the bulbs but I checked them and they are fine. Any thoughts!

owene, Jan 9, 8:27am
No thoughts sorry.

vitaminh, Jan 9, 8:29am
lol thanks for that :)

jasongroves, Jan 9, 8:34am
Did you check both fuse boxes!

andrea_w, Jan 9, 8:34am
Rewire the stereo. Do it properly this time.

pup2, Jan 9, 8:35am
did you check the fuse box in the motor bay!

vitaminh, Jan 9, 8:36am
Yeah I checked all the permanents under the bonnet and all the ones in the car with a test light and they all seem fine.

andrea_w, Jan 9, 8:37am
Behind the stereo how many power wires did you find! Use! Isolate!

vitaminh, Jan 9, 8:47am
I snipped the wires I needed. 8 speaker wires, remote wire, constant power. Which I have done before without issue. I wored them in phase checked them and then soldered them and the stereo worked fine.

andrea_w, Jan 9, 9:02am
What did you do with the power wire you (probably) didn't use!
Just out of interest, what type of car is this!

mugenb20b, Jan 9, 9:06am
stupidly

richard198, Jan 9, 9:06am
You haven't mentioned what model car you are working on.
However, a lot of cars run an illumination wire. Did you find that!
How many earth wires did you find etc.!
Electric aerial!
So many questions but not enough information.

A very common mistake for beginners is to think they've found an earth wire which is in fact your dash wire etc.

vitaminh, Jan 9, 9:07am
I used the constant power wire to my head unit. It is a 98 galant. I'm off to bed I will check back tomorrow. Cheers for the answers :)