2.6 VR STRAIGHT 6 ENGINE

paul271, Feb 27, 9:55pm
Yes, as the titile says it is a straight 6 GM engine in a VR commodore. I need to find out the firing order. Does anyone have any info on these! Apparently they were a special import by Ebbets of Hamilton. And no, they dont have any info either! They have a dual ram setup on the inlet manifold, timing chain, seperate dizzy. Have one here that is not firing on cylinders one and two, and I suspect the firing order is out, but there is nothing on the car that tells me what it is.

phillip.weston, Feb 27, 10:11pm
It's the Opel C26NE engine. Firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4 like most other inline 6 engines.

phillip.weston, Feb 27, 10:18pm
I believe they were a shipment intended specifically for the Singapore market, but somehow ended up in NZ as Ebbetts brought a handful of them in. The VS had the same treatment too, but ended up with the 2.5L Quad-cam 54deg V6, with a Senator front end and badged as the Holden Royale.

paul271, Feb 28, 2:54am
Thanks Phil, unfortunately doesnt seem to be correct. Tried that one already! Any other ideas!
Paul

phillip.weston, Feb 28, 4:06am
I would say you have other issues. that firing order is most definitely correct for the C26NE engine. Have you physically checked for spark from those two cylinders! Definitely checked the direction the distributor spins, and plug leads attached to the dizzy cap correctly! Done a compression test to make sure all cylinders actually have compression! Tried swapping around injectors to see if an injector or two is partially blocked!

berg, Feb 28, 6:12am
12 of them missed the boat (they were actually heading for an Arab country) so they shipped them to NZ as there was zero interest in Aus.
We sold two in Blenheim and I PD'd both of them.

chris_051, Feb 28, 7:14am
So there are only 12 in the country! Cos I've seen quite a few of em around. That engine in a 5 spd manual Vectra went like shit off a shovel, I;d guess it would be the opposite in the auto commodore.

phillip.weston, Feb 28, 7:19am
nah surely more than 12 in the country, unless you're meaning the VR with the 2.6 specifically. I've seen two of the 2.6 VRs and four of the 2.5 V6 VS's over the years.

paul271, Mar 1, 6:50pm
Compression tested at 120 to 140 psi on all cylinders, dizzy rotates clockwise, checked for TDC and then checked No1 lead, ok. Leads are firing, plugs have fuel on them. Will run with current firing order, but when I change it to 1 5 3 6 2 4, it wont even cough, let alone fart! Havent tried injector swapping, but coz theres fuel on the plugs, I can assume that fuel is getting there.

phillip.weston, Mar 1, 8:27pm
so is it running with a different firing order! Distributor is defintiely aligned properly to #1 TDC! The dizzy could be 180deg out with the crank at TDC but the cam 180deg to the crank, or vice versa.

paul271, Mar 2, 2:48am
x1
Found it. Talked to the owner, found out some "experts" had been at it and started fiddling with the timing and the dizzy. Turned out the leads were on wrong, timing was also out 180 degrees, and insulator was missing out of the dizzy (found that in the glovebox). New set of plugs and charge the battery up as it was flat as well from all the cranking, and shes a goer! Thanks to all who contributed.

phillip.weston, Mar 2, 2:59am
good to hear it's sorted.

kay, Dec 13, 1:16am
hi..i owned a opel calais 1996 wit that 2.6 inline 6 engine..engine is smooth while driving..if idling the rpm seems not stabilize...already clean the throttle body..better a bit but problem still there..any clues?....tq..