Question For Gadget3 Re Corolla Air Conditioning.

ema1, Jan 11, 5:01am
How's things.I started another thread on this subject that you have posted on I see, hey I have got a hold of a 1996 Corolla R134a air con unit that still works OK now what differences were there between the R12 pre 1994 units compared to the post 1994 R134a units as I'm planning a retro fit of the later gear into my 1993 FX SJ car here.
I know the pumps and the expansion valves have different specs between the two types but are there any other differences beside those I mentioned and the fill point valves please.!

gadgit3, Jan 11, 6:04am
Hi John
If you fit the pump and rubber hoses from the 134a system, put 150ml of PAG oil into the system and maybe a new receiver dryer oh and fit 134a fill ports the system will work fine.
The rubber hoses are different between the R12 and 134a. The 134a has a plastic liner in side the hose as the molecules of 134a are smaller and will leach through the R12 rubber lines.
TX valve will handle it. and the PAG oil is a good mixer
With the pump I have in the past just changed the top hat on the R12 pump for the 134a top hat but the x-spirts say this wont work.it dose lol But if you have a whole pump then just swap the whole lot.
Hope thats some what helpful

ema1, Jan 11, 7:17am
Thanks for that Kelsey,
I'll get the pump, TX valve and the hoses etc from the one I've tracked down, should be far better to swap than do a retro fit of gas by itself.
That way the gear will be factory R134a essentually.
I prefer it to be that way actually.

cuda.340, Jan 11, 8:18am
having been involved in the retrofitting from R12 in it's day we found that just changing the gas to Iseon R49L gave better performance than the R12 & definately left the R134a conversions in their dust.
i read in a US mag were the insurance claims from retro'd R12 to 134a systems were prevolant from about 18 months after change over. i cut a compressor open than had been converted & found the aluminium components were flaking apart & this flaking blocked the system making the a/c u/s. this was very surprising as all internal a/c components are covered in oil.
we live in constantly changing times as i'm now involved with phase out of R22 for the high performance R410, all my old friends R11. 12. 22 & 502 are gone.

pup2, Jan 11, 6:56pm
Do you have the condenser for the 134a set-up! Have found when doing a basic change from r22 to 134a (just seals, receiver drier & oil) that some condensers don't work as well as they would have with r22 gas. Once you have good air flow over them they are ok, but at low low speeds (heavy traffic) and idle, they just don't get rid off the heat good enough. So basically, I would also change over the condenser if you have it

ema1, Jan 12, 5:50am
Hey Kelsey.After finding out the guy who has the R134a air con complete was wanting an exorbitant price heck you could damn near buy a whole car for the amount being asked, needless to say I promptly turned it down!
I've decided to go down the R413 route as a drop in job like you suggest.R413 is the same thing as R49L I believe, it gets used a lot in the States I'm told as a drop in replacement for the R12. Probably a lot simpler in the end.