People movers & running costs question.

hannahsmummy07, Jan 12, 12:55am
We're getting a people mover soon, so far we've been looking at just normal 2wd ones. But now we're thinking a 4 wheel drive would come in handy, im wondering about petrol costs though. Would having a 4wd make a huge difference to the running cost or not really! It'll be used mostly for driving round town but occasionally needed for 4wd driving.

vtecintegra, Jan 12, 12:58am
Yeah 4wd is going to noticeably impact economy in all usage (but especially around town).

Bear in mind most 4WD people movers aren't very capable off road anyway.

gadgit3, Jan 12, 1:01am
People mover van! or people mover 7 seater SUV!

hannahsmummy07, Jan 12, 1:02am
Van, like s honda stream or oddysey type thing. We're staying away from SUV's coz of the running costs.

mugenb20b, Jan 12, 1:03am
Budget!

hannahsmummy07, Jan 12, 1:03am
Do you mean how much do we want to spend! or telling me to budget better! lol

vtecintegra, Jan 12, 1:08am
Where are you wanting to go with them! The awd system in those Hondas is pretty much designed for snowy roads, not anything challenging - also they don't have very much ground clearance.

gadgit3, Jan 12, 1:11am
Vans only then no point going 4wd stick to the 2wd alot better on fuel and the Stream is not a bad choice. looks good and Honda build a good low maintainance engine.

mugenb20b, Jan 12, 1:12am
Yeah, sorry, how much are you planning to spend!

hannahsmummy07, Jan 12, 1:13am
Oh. Perhaps not what we're looking for then. It'll be to go to Mitimiti, so driving across wet farmland and on the beach, and rugged gravel roads. We're not really car people so kinda have no idea, except that we need 7 seats and 4wd. Maybe I should have a wee look at SUV's, i havnt even bothered looking at them so far

hannahsmummy07, Jan 12, 1:14am
We were thinking around $6-9,000 from the prices we've seen on here. We can go up to $10 or 11,000 though

mugenb20b, Jan 12, 1:24am
That's a tough one. A 7 seater 4WD in that price range will not be economical to run and will have a few years on it. The best I could find was a 2002 Volvo which has a high ground clearance, but it's not the car I could recommend (auction number 424609851). Whatever you do, keep away from Ford Explorers. Good luck.

hannahsmummy07, Jan 12, 1:48am
Cool thank you. After reading these comments, I think we should just get a 2wd people mover van. And we can hire a 4wd SUV for going away. Thanks!