Kazbanz - Question for you

skyline_guy_r34, Jun 14, 7:10am
Me and the partner went into a dealership the other day to look at a very nice car she is after. The car had a price on the window of $23,990. Her car - an altezza (not modified, and low kms) was to be used as a trade in. They initially offered $7000 trade in price which she felt was too low. After a few words and a phone call to the upper boss, they agreed to give $8000 trade in for the altezza (which I feel is a very good trade price). So leaving the remainder of $15,990 to be paid if the deal went ahead.

They seemed too reluctant to come down with the starting price of $23,990 for the car. Is this the norm when trading in with a good trade in value given. Or should we still have expected the dealer to come down to $21,990 or $22,990, Or perhaps stay at $23,990 but throw in longer mechanical breakdown etc.

phillip.weston, Jun 14, 7:15am
they came up $1000 in price on the trade, do you think they are going to be quick to knock off another $1000 off the deal! I would be surprised if the changeover ends up being less than $15k.

skyline_guy_r34, Jun 14, 7:29am
Yeah pretty much what I thought. Ive almost dealt with them before on a 20k car and a 24k car, and each time they were keen to knock off at least 2k. So was wondering why not this time, i understand that extra 1k in the trade in would have taken up some of the negotiating. It was a nice car, just a tad overpriced sadly.

lookoutas, Jun 11, 5:56pm
Only 3 times in my life have I ever done a trade-in, and each time I was only ever interested in the difference.
Forget "What I get and what you get" You know how much you wanta spend, so state that figure and work it out from there.
Every single time, the Salesman have enjoyed that way of dealing, and said they wish everyone had that outlook.