Honda Ascot 92/94? Problems?

mr_lovebug, Jun 7, 4:42am
What are the common problems with them!

My mother has one & now a friend also has gone out & got one.

Is there anything to look out for!

Thanks.

mr_lovebug, Jun 7, 5:05am
I understand the car users the 80's full alloy motor (prelude).

Anything else to be known about the car!

antwerp87, Jun 7, 5:13am
there pretty good. Never had too many issues. The engines are pretty solid if its the 2l dohc

dent, Jun 7, 5:57am
I thort they had the five cylinder engine in it.

vtecintegra, Jun 7, 6:01am
Depends on model.

The 93+ Ascot had the five cylinder, the older ones had the same 4 as an Accord
The Ascot Inova is a different car, essentially the European Accord with a four cylinder

antwerp87, Jun 7, 6:01am
Your right. The ascot rafaga does. The ascot is a different shape and different engine.

dent, Jun 7, 6:03am
ahhh I stand corrected.

vtecintegra, Jun 7, 6:08am
Honda names are confusing.

The Ascot and Rafaga are not the same car, they're almost the same but not identical (like the Levin and Trueno).

Anyway OP have a look here - which car is in question! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Ascot

tmenz, Jun 7, 6:19am
x1
I can give you a list of the problems I've had with a '92 Ascot Innova if that's what you've got!
CB3 chassis with F20A 2L sohc and 4 speed automatic.

mr_lovebug, Jun 8, 9:27pm
Sorry guys,been away in another town,the car is Honda Ascot Innova 2L with a prelude full alloy motor.

I had forgotten that there is other verioson that has the 5 cyc motor in it.

So,my question again is what is the common/known problems with the 2L Ascot Innova!

Thanks.

goatroast, Jun 8, 10:17pm
I had a 91 Honda Ascot. The transmission went on it and the mechanic advised to sell it for scrap as it would be really hard to find replacement parts, they tried to find another transmission but were unsuccessful. When I purchased my next car I made sure I got a common model.

mr_lovebug, Jun 9, 5:19am
Honda Ascot Innova is a rather common car these days.

Personally parts are easy to get for them,you might or had a 2.5L not a 2L like what we have. The 2L is out of a 88/91 prelude.Full alloy.

tmenz, Jun 10, 12:13am
'92 Ascot Innova.
Strong Honda usually have all the parts you need.
Problems I've had - all seemed to happen at once!
Power steering pump noisy - 2nd hand pump fitted.
CV boot split - mechanic changed it, didn't put axle back into hub correctly, worked it's way out - sheared axle spline - 2nd hand axle fitted.
Intermittent no start when hot - bad solder joints in PGM FI relay - resoldered.
Beeper went bananas with random beeps, windscreen wipers, etc. - 2nd hand controller box fitted.
Radiator leaked around top - new Silverdale Radiators' radiator fitted - perfect fit.
Motor stopped suddeny - faulty ignitor in distributor - OKI replaced by Hitachi. (Rotor was seized on shaft and had to be cut off - new rotor required).
Distributor bearings failed and collapsed (in the middle of nowhere with no cellphone coverage) - temporarily replaced with 2nd hand but eventually new distributor body (cw shaft, bearings and sensors) purchased and original internals fitted into it.
Driver's door handle return spring arm broke making handle floppy. 2nd hand handle repainted to match and fitted - broke again after 6 months!
Rear door handles same - bought new handles from Honda already painted to match - each cheaper than 2nd hand one!
Paint clear-coat peeling.
Apart from this spate of problems a couple of years back, the car has been absolutely fine - runs really well - motor and gearbox work fine - has done only 77000 kms in its time.
Note. When purchased in 2000, it was fitted with a Japanese battery of indeterminate age - this battery is still going strong with no sign of failing!

mugenb20b, Jun 10, 12:29am
You forgot to take the bolt out of the rotor, right!

tmenz, May 26, 2:07am
No! The bolt was seized in the bush and couldn't be shifted with whatever I tried. The bush was also frozen on the shaft!
Got it all off by cutting through the rotor and bush with a Dremel cutting wheel - just a matter of buying a new rotor after that - only $20.