Honda Automatic Transmission Fluid

franc123, Jun 4, 11:43pm
Thats true you don't use a normal Dexron 2 or 3 style fluid but you can use Castrol TQ95, the same oil as used in the Falcon 4 speed autos and a number of the Mitsi FWD autos, there is a slightly cheaper one that Valvoline sell, ATF95LE, the best place to get this is when SCA are having a 25% off sale, even when they aren't their prices for these oils are much lower than Repcos.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 5, 1:04am
Further to your request for me to have a look:

Sorry andy, I am not an expert on those transmissions. In general yes some automatic transmissions do need to use a specialized fluid. While there is a definite marketing spin to this you should still take the recommendation seriously.

Remember, manufacturers of cars don't make transmission fluid, its usually blended for them by one of the big oil names. Also, manufacturers often don't even make their own transmissions. (which can help with researching this)

With that in mind the solution is usually along the lines of what franc123 said. The likes of castrol, valvoline etc have "product finders" on their web sites you can use for advice and they are usually correct as they don't like to risk litigation. You can also call their experts on their 0800 numbers for free.

franc123 is probably right on the money (I just can't confirm as I have not checked myself). There are also international Honda forum's that may help.
Often the oil company that makes the manufacturer blend will also release it to the market directly under another name, you just have to do the research.

Sorry I can't be of more help but thats been the process with several other manufacturers when I have been in a similar boat.

Good luck!

pandai, Jun 5, 1:10am
Honda ATF is $69.94 for a 3 litre bottle.Just use the OEM stuff.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 5, 1:18am
Quite right, if there is negligible price difference its not worth bothering. I have not paid retail for ATF for a while but that dosn't sound too crazy price wise.

antwerp87, Jun 5, 5:40am
hey I smelt a honda thread.

Don't forget there is a transfer case that the oil usually gets forgotten to be changed in. that can cause issues down the track

ryans, Jun 5, 8:25am
Hondas have a different type of automatic transmission than normal automatics, so, yes, they do need their special ATF.

antwerp87, Jun 5, 10:44am
they were only brought in as a japanese import. The 5 cylinders never came into nz as nz new. As for the oil always better when it comes to honda to use the genuine atf. Italy not much more to buy instead. Now I'm pretty sure they either use atf or the honda dpsf which is a purposely made diff oil usually used in the crv. Ill have to get back on exactly which one but I'm pretty dam sure either would be fine.

antwerp87, May 11, 4:13pm
lol not a worry. Hasn't taken long for people to remember me as the honda tech lol, good to be back on the mb'shaven't seen my name in the title for a while. Ps the name is Antwerp87. Lol not Antwerp. Actually its Anton but most call me ants