R.U.C. question please

Page 1 / 2
jasongroves, May 18, 4:28am
Around 4 cents per Km last time I checked.

thunderbolt, May 18, 4:39am
This will help: if you have a couple of hours to kill:

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/road-user-charges/docs/road-user-charges.pdf

shark574, May 18, 4:59am
Yeh hilux is.$46.51 per 1000ks.
The fine is 3 times wot you owe in ruc and then you have to buy in anyway.
How far over were you!

mrfxit, May 18, 5:18am
Currently $186 - ish for 4000km's

Yea & what he said above . . . . .^ ^ ^

miz_kati, May 18, 6:16am
heard somewhere the fine is roughly $10 per kilometre over

taipan4, May 18, 6:58am
and as a hilux weighs just under two tonne unladenyou will need to use a 3 tonne license, otherwise if they ping you again they can go back and charge you the difference,.your call

mrfxit, May 18, 7:34am
Depends . on what it's registered as when 1st reg
Mine is 2040kg & reg as a station wagon & runs on 2T label (as decided by NZTA / Ltsa)

mrcat1, May 18, 7:59am
What its registered as won't matter, the fact is it's diesel and diesel is not taxed at the pump.
If you have a load on and get weighed you will get the fine then for overloading.

johnf_456, May 18, 8:02am
Naughty jerry, but good on ya for fessing up

matthew111, May 18, 8:11am
you will have a fine and the extra fees now

johnf_456, May 18, 8:12am
He knows that doh

mrfxit, May 18, 10:53am
Not really my problem.
I rang them specifically to check that & provided my rego, they told me what the ruc's are & the same info is provided automatically with the online rec purchase.
Theres a huge difference to how domestic/ private vehicles are treated & commercial usage vehicles.
By your reckoning, I wouldn't even be able to carry passengers without upping the ruc weights

busdriverman, May 18, 12:53pm
How could they know what weight you are going to be carrying! The RUC sticker should be for the gross weight of the vehicle, ie it's tare weight plus it's load. If you get checked, and weighed, and your vehicle weight is over the weight of the RUC sticker displayed, that you chose to purchase, then you can be fined. It sure is your choice. Below is the paragragh, copied from the document referred to above, that explaines this.

It is important that you buy the correct
licence weight for the operation of your
vehicle. To determine the correct unladen
weight of your vehicle, refer to your
vehicle??

phillip.weston, May 18, 8:01pm
0kgs to 3000kgs get charged at the same rate, it isn't until over 3000kgs that the rate increases.

mrfxit, May 18, 8:40pm
Thanks.
Which is probably part of the reason cops don't generally bother domestic 4x4's on 2T ruc labels.

NOW . if I had some form of commercial writing on my vehicle or trailer , it would probably be a very different story.

The average domestic 4x4 owner even when using it for getting to & fromwork, would probably only clock up something like a max of 200 to 500km's a 5 day working week .

Nothing odd for a commercial vehicle to clock up 1000km's PLUS per 5 day working week
Thats a good part of the reasons why the ruc's & rego are a lot dearer on commercial vehicles

mrfxit, May 18, 8:43pm
Like I said above . I RANG THEM specificly to ask NZTA (ruc department) about that issue

mrfxit, May 18, 8:51pm
So according to that, my 88 Hilux should have a 4T licence noting that it can carry 1000kg's in the back & only be halfway down on the springs + the vehicle weight of 2040kg's + ANY trailer + ANY load. . ohhhh hell, better make that a 5T licence for the potential loads I MAY carry in/on it for DOMESTIC usage . OR

Buy the petrol version & totally ignore the ruc weight limits of a diesel motor imposed on the vehicle bodys carrying capacity .for domestic usage.

Oh yes I DO understand where you are coming from . but do YOU understand my situation as a DOMESTIC owner of a diesel 4x4

johnf_456, May 18, 10:10pm
Thats how it works to my knowledge, hence it ok for mrfxt on a 2t

zab054, May 18, 11:23pm
Oh the joys of a diesel in NZ.

johnf_456, May 18, 11:33pm
I'm not laughing just saying its good that you are taking the sensible approach rather than denying it.

mrcat1, May 18, 11:37pm
It has nothing to do what it is registered as nor as it got to do whether it is used by a company or private, it comes down to the fact it is diesel and diesel is not taxed at the pump, very simple. If you get weighed you will be showing a 2 tonne sticker, whether its the same cost for 2 or 3t is not the issue either, the issue will be with the God Squad is that you only have a 2 tonne sticker and you weigh more with a load on, I simply just get a 3 tonne sticker for my Venturer ute, very simple. And another urban myth is it doesn't matter what your towing, it's not a heavy trailer so it doesn't RUC on the trailer.

zab054, May 18, 11:41pm
Why dont the powers that be or dont be,just whack it on at the friggin pump ! Because they can make more money the NZ way.LOL.

johnf_456, May 18, 11:41pm
He rang up NZTA and asked, they said its fine

johnf_456, May 18, 11:42pm
Thats what they do in australia, so much less paper work and headaches.

mrcat1, May 18, 11:46pm
Another Tui add coming, you try telling that to the God Squad when they have you pinned down on the side of the road, ha ha. As soon as he puts anyone in it it's over weight. And he wonders why he's paying a fine now. as the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water BUT you can't make it drink. The post office also told me years ago i had to buy RUC at the manufacturers gross weight, i only needed 20t for the tractor unit but it was a ex heavy haul unit and its gross weight was 125tonne, i soon told them where to get off, you need enough to cover the tare weight of the vehicle AND its load.