Non Motoring Question

sr2, May 16, 9:03pm
Hi guys, I posted this in DIY with little response! We seem to have more knowledge here in motoring, sorry for being off topic but can anyone help (I'm getting some serious flack from the wife to sort this out!).

I??

flat_white_ltd, May 16, 9:16pm
I think you just answered your own question.
.The tensioned tongue that the bulb makes contact with when you screw it home can lose its spring tension on cheaper versions
.you coud try ( pulling the fuse first, obviously. turning switch off won't guarantee open circuit)) prying it out/down a little to make better contact with the bulb base.

johnf_456, May 16, 10:58pm
I have had the same thing here, it was the crap fittings. But don't do it yourself has you can potentially void your insurance, (no doubt you can do it).

sr2, May 17, 1:11am
Thaks guys, as I suspected it looks like I need to track down some quality fittings.

johnf_456, May 17, 1:16am
I'll flick my sparkie friend a text soon and see what he recommends for you.

smac, May 17, 8:15am
We built this house a couple years back, and because I missed it on the spec sheet most of the lights are Edison screw. I can personally vouch that these are the worst design of anything. Ever. There is no way a tinny pressed metal thread can properly tension an electrical contact that is subject to the heat cycling those things see. If and when I get to it they'll all be replaced.As it is I reckon we've replaced every damn bulb a couple times already.

flat_white_ltd, May 17, 8:22am
Screw-in bulbs & fittings were designed by a sadist
(especially those c**ty spotlights that just fit inside the holder )

rob_man, May 17, 8:32am
Some clown decided it would be a good idea to use imported Italian light fittings when this place was done up in 2000. Consequently we have every different style of bulb in fittings with hard to source bulbs including the small screw in ones which have a life expectancy of about twelve minutes.
I'm slowly replacing the fittings with sensible stuff.

johnf_456, May 17, 8:37am
What a mess :(

clark20, May 17, 8:40am
I found that they get harder to screw in when they get older, a little bit of di-electric grease on the thread may help them seat better.

flat_white_ltd, May 17, 8:40am
Agreed.
Rob's lights sound like a bit of a pain, too.

johnf_456, May 17, 8:44am
If I had to resort to grease I would replace the fitting personally clark, for safety sake. You should not need grease at all.

flat_white_ltd, May 17, 8:47am
are you having a little cognitive issue there, fella !

rob_man, May 17, 8:50am
Talk about change the subject, when did it switch to women!

johnf_456, May 17, 8:51am
johnf pass rob the soap to wash his mouth out

sr2, May 17, 9:19am
LOL, you sick puppy, (Just ignore John, he likes to follow me around the MB!).

johnf_456, Mar 2, 2:06pm
No I don't, read above I also had a laugh. I enjoy reading your posts sr2, so need to hate.