BMW X3 vs Honda CR-V

Page 1 / 2
joanjett76, May 9, 8:14am
Hi there, I've just sold my 2004 VW Golf to switch to an SUV (I'm tall with niggly back and reaching down and in to get baby out was getting too hard). It's for city use mostly. I've got a budget of $25k. I've test driven loads and have crossed many off because they're too big/too guzzling/didn't fit really tall people comfortably. This is what I'm left with, in order of interest. I'd love some feedback on these specific options, especially in relation to: servicing/parts costs, re-sale value, reliability and fuel economy.

1. BMW X3 2004 or 2005 2.5i - love its looks/German interior/nice drive, worried about resale/servicing/economy
2. Honda CR-V 2007ish - quite nice looking/seems to get a big tick for reliability, little boring maybe
3. Volvo XC90 2.5T, 2004 or 2005 - love the look, worried that Volvo is incredibly expensive for parts and servicing and bad economy.
4. Toyota Harrier 2005 or 2006 - random maybe, but great size, a little like Cr-V maybe, nice lexus like details, still don't think it's as classy as Euro options.

(Have ruled out Sante Fe (too big), tucson (too small for tall driver), Freelander (didn't like), CX-7 (didn't like bulbous look) X5 (too big) touareg (too big and pricey) tiguan/xc60 (like, but too pricey) outlander and captiva (didn't like the feel or the reviews).

As an alternative option, we'd consider reducing our budget to $15k if anyone has a great suggestion of a smart/attractive SUV buy in this range. Was thinking a 2002ish CR-V might be best.

I need to buy in the next fortnight. Thanks very much for your help!

supertech1, May 9, 8:18am
BMW X3 vs Honda CR-V
Dare I say it go for the Honda!

michael.benn, May 9, 8:19am
BMW X3 . DO ITTT.

But make sure it's silver.

fordcrzy, May 9, 8:27am
i think clarkson said the x3 was one of the worst and most pointless cars ever made.i agree.

joanjett76, May 9, 8:38am
Hi fordcrzy, thanks for the suggestion. And promise you I didn't laugh, but I'm really not into the people mover, mostly because we're just a one-baby family - don't need the sliding door/8 seats etc. Cheers

supertech1, May 9, 8:49am
CR-V drives like a play station,lol.At least it will not suffer from the orange ring of death.

pandai, May 9, 8:57am
I've been driving a 2007 CR-V this week.The model with heated leather seats and sunroof.I really like it, enough to recommend it.I think I prefer being a passenger in it to driving it, it's quite comfy to be in.

To add a little.The suspension is surprisingly firm, it sits quite solidly on the road.I missed the power of the v6 in my Accord though.

joanjett76, May 9, 9:04am
It would be great to get some specific advice on relative servicing/parts costs, re-sale value, reliability and fuel economy.

supertech1, May 9, 9:17am
1http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/20249.shtml 2http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/23729.shtml

Dont get me wrong LOVE BMW,But in what you have described Chunda all the way.

spongefrisk, May 9, 9:21am
X-Trail!

vtecintegra, May 9, 11:02pm
I'll just point out Clarkson said all of that about the X3 too (with emphasis on the useless offroad and ugly parts).Although I'm sure if he'd have been in a CRV at the time the same would have applied.

cassina1, May 10, 7:53am
I test drove a 2010 latest bodyshape CRV as part of a test drive promotion.
While it drove ok I did not like the very light steering it had for open road touring. I have a 2002 RAV 4 which steers much more solidly. I have not demoed the latest bodyshape RAV4 to compare but the Dog and Lemon guide
did say it was underpowered and it is a much heavier vehicle than my model. The X3 may well drive better than a CRV but the X5 is considered the better of the 2 by far.

vtecintegra, May 10, 8:00am
Actually the original X3 had a lot of build quality problems including transmissions.

I believe its all been solved now, but the first few years had their problems - bear in mind they were built at a separate factory in Austria and it took them a while to get everything running smoothly

ralphdog1, May 10, 9:07am
Well the CRV may be crap off road with a joke 4wd system but.the OP does not want it for that so debate about that aspect within this thread seems a tad pointless.
As for the claim they are gutless, doing 75kmh down the highway, that is a right ankle angle issue, nothing more.
At 255k, our late 96 one (earlier generation admittedly) has hardly put a foot wrong. Would not have cost me a head gasket if the operator had kept an eye on the temp gauge!.
Not overly economical, not "exciting" to drive, but for what he OP wants I would say very practical.

gammelvind, May 10, 9:24am
Sorry Scotty, 75 kph in the middle lane is reserved for Suzuki Swifts :-)

thejazzpianoma, May 10, 9:39am
joanjett, we discussed the VW Touran didn't we!
Its got the high seats you want but it dosn't have the draw backs of the 4WD (higher running costs, lack of economy etc). Its also quite small in person so is not a big bargy people mover.
The MK5 Golf running gear (Thats what it is BTW a MK5 Golf with a high roof) is quite a leap ahead compared to the MK4 Golf you had.
Well worth taking one for a drive, they don't look exciting but you may find you really like driving it.

joanjett76, May 10, 10:31am
Hi Jazz, thanks for your comment and yes I remember your Touran. I just can't get past the people mover look of it but I'll see if there's one nearby I can test drive. I would go for the Tiguan if they weren't so darn expensive. You obviously don't rate the X3! It seems lots of people don't. I may need to think again.

richardmayes, May 11, 5:43am
If you only have one little one and you want to stand out from the crowd, you could look at a Honda HR-V!

You will have noticed that little Honda 4x4s are everywhere on our roads, this means that if you ever need to you'll be able to find a mechanic who knows his way around one.

Also neither X3 or CR-V are rough noisy mud-plugging off-roaders, they are both road cars with a slightly enhanced ability to cross a muddy car park without getting stuck, compared to the equivalent Honda Civic or BMW 320.
So comments above about the "crap" Honda 4WD system are meaningless, in these sorts of cars the 4WD system is only designed to stop you from spinning the wheels in the wet on a steep driveway, not for serious off-roading. Both BMW and Honda systems are perfectly adequate for what they are intended to be used for.

carkitter, May 11, 8:46am
The clutch packs in the rear diff are perfectly reliable. Any gearbox using a wet clutch needs regular oil changes using the correct grade of oil. Neglecting the oil changes leads to excessive wear and eventual failure but nowhere near as expensive as neglecting the maintenance on a BMW.

ralphdog1, May 11, 10:12am
Wonder why wifey's is still OK with 10x that mileage.

ct9a, May 11, 10:55pm
are we talking about a vx commy here !
haahaa

richard198, May 12, 12:36am
Subaru Outback
Toyota anything
Nissan anything

thejazzpianoma, May 12, 3:34am
I just have no experience with the X3 so can't tell you anything usefull either way on that one. Its a pity the Touran dosn't look so sharp because mechanically its so much better and the running costs significantly lower. But life is to short to drive something you dont enjoy.

Oh and yes the Tiguan's are lovely.

I just have issues trying to use a 4WD for a purpose it wasn't designed for and having to live with all the shortcomings of doing so. I am also concerned that given you were not overly happy with paying a few hundred a year to service the Golf that you may get a fright at the service/maintenance costs of 4WD's.

If I was to go 4WD with high seats for 25K or less I think the Volvo XC90 with the 5 Cylender 2.5 Litre engine would be fairly high on my list of vehicles to consider. Parts are dearer than VW's but they are a lot of car for the money and overall very good value and those engines are really efficient and reliable.

Even better would be a diesel one but they are hard to get in the price range.

ct9a, May 12, 5:34am
gosh your great for a laugh only 600,000kms geez thats piss poor whens the performance kick in on these holdens! do we have to wait another 10years !

does the barina or astra look the same as your coomodore ,as that is how stupid and silly your comment sounds!

ct9a, May 12, 5:36am
why thanks it is a v8 beating shit box ,as that all that is required

GET SOME RICE ! wax on wax off