Intrade - Running a Diesel on ATF question.

thejazzpianoma, May 10, 10:57pm
Hey old Bean,
I can't find the thread where you discussed what you were doing in past, but anyhow I have a mate with a garage who would like to run his old 2.4 Hilux on used ATF.

I seem to remember you are doing something similar (atf or waste oil!) and I was wondering if you have had any wear/injector pump issues and how you are filtering the ATF etc.

Thanks in advance!

intrade, May 10, 11:15pm
you need to buy a rawpower centrifugefiltering atf is a waste of time . i have tryed that once and the new fuel filter was blocked up after 400km. The only way to bring oil down to clean standard is a centrifuge. if its heavy particle course filter then centrifuge 1 pass and it be at 5 microns . fuel filter is 20 micron. be carfully not to mix vegetable oil with mineral oils and i would only use it on fully mechanical diesel

thejazzpianoma, May 10, 11:26pm
Your a champion! Will pass that on, many thanks!

intrade, May 10, 11:34pm
he needs the 240 volt model and the heater to it be round 2 grand worth with import tax and all. you send the guy a international bank cheque in us$
http://www.wvodesigns.com/wvo-centrifuges/basic-raw-power-centrifuge.htm
i painted my one on outside with etch primer and heat resistant silver paint before i used it also as oil stains myght soak in to the alloy after.

thejazzpianoma, May 12, 3:12am
Thanks for that. He is pretty keen on it aye, and that looks to be a really nice wee unit.

What ratio diesel/waste oil do you run in the van or do you run it on straight oil!

Also, have you done any modifications like adding a heater or extra oil pump to the van at all!

Thanks for your advice, its great to talk to someone in NZ who is actually doing this!

intrade, May 12, 5:19am
in winter it will be a problem under 16 degrees plus. you myght have to run on 10 to 20% only I had the hilux on 100% waste transformer oil that was clean already and i run wmo at the momant but only like 10 to 30% to prevent the seals from shrinking on my fiat and renault diesel.
No modifications are done to any of the vehicle just dumped it in the tank after it went thru centrifuge. I also mix the diesel in before it goes thrucentrifuge to thinn the waste motor oil W-M-O
For my merc i purchased new injector nozzles that are designed to run on waste oil as the originals will block up on alternative fuels.

thejazzpianoma, May 12, 5:27am
Thanks for that, the vehicles in question are 90's Hilux. So when you say 10% to 20% I take it that you mean 10 - 20% Diesel in the mix! as opposed to the other way around!

I might have a look into whether injectors are available for the Hilux like you used for the Merc.

intrade, Feb 9, 5:53pm
na 80% diesel in winterand in summer the other way round.
My 82 hilux runs fine the problem is the tiny boorholes in the injector tips of the ones the merc aperanty have fitted. the ones i got aremonark from germany got em from usa however. you should keep your merc and drive that on waste oils.
http://www.mercedessource.com/node/4757