The $30,000 Question

hotrodtodd1, Apr 17, 7:15am
Im looking at replacing a coupe of my vehicles and my needs are:

To tow a 2000kg trailer with race car inside from time to time
To be able to travel at 100kms with trailer on (I hate holding up other traffic)
To not slow down on hills (I hate that)
To have a comfortable vehicle for driving when trailer not on it.

I pretty much only buy V8s and I cam cope with the fuel prices - I dont smoke & I barely drink.

In the past I have towed with a V8 Calais, A W8 Passat wagoon and a 6.5 Turbo diesel Chev Suburban.

Im looking sideways at the 4.2 VW Towrag, but my VW experience hasnt really been that good with the W8 (tho its an awesome tow vehicle), or thinking maybe a Chev Duallie with the 6.5 TD engine.

What else is out there that can do the job on my budget!

pnh4, Apr 17, 7:23am
Why bother, youd be better to put a lexus driveline or similar in good runner, & half the dough.

morrisman1, Apr 17, 7:37am
Although you say you aren't bothered with fuel costs, it will be substantially cheaper per KM to run a big diesel over a big petrol.

It could also be better characteristics because in most diesels at 100km/h you can put your foot down and get around 80% power without having to drop a gear. In a petrol at 100km/h you would have to drop a gear to get similar power figures.

Sorry its not really my department so I cannot recommend any specific vehicles

xacoon, Apr 17, 7:40am
diesel, by the time you weigh up ruc rego and maintenance are they really any cheaper!

bigracket, Apr 17, 7:45am
LOL, enter The Jazzpainoma

trouser, Apr 17, 7:51am
Some people aren't cheap assed wannabes though.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 17, 8:22am
Toureg would be a pretty much unbeatable towvehicle and a lot of fun just to have as a regular vehicle as well. It certainly gets my vote. You just have to be sensible about where you source parts for it. In other words don't pack a sad if you take it to a prestige dealer and they charge you a fortune for something that could have been done for a fraction of the price with 10 min on the phone and some common sense.

However, if I was buying a dedicated tow vehicle. It would be a big Euro van, i.e Ducato, Mercedes etc. Not only can they tow like you wouldn't believe you can set it up to sleep in and/or carry your tools, spares etc all under cover, out of site and under lock and key.

Oh, and don't worry, there is no danger of holding up traffic on hills when towing with one of those common rail puppy's. Over the likes of the kaimais you will be the one out and passing.

pnh4, Apr 17, 8:32am
No some arent dat would be u

sr2, Apr 17, 9:10am
Bugger, I??

aktow, Apr 17, 3:02pm
dodge 4500 or 5500 is better than a Chevy Dually.,forget any 1500 chevy trucks, we tow a boat with one and it sways a lot. not much steering

trouser, Apr 17, 8:13pm
Yes it would.

pnh4, Apr 17, 9:52pm
Thank-you, anytime Sir.

chris_051, Apr 17, 10:29pm
Over priced 4.8 Patrol pales in comparison to the likes of Chev, Ford and Dodge out of the states. These are the equalivent of Isuzu N Series, Hino 300 ans Mitsi Canters without the rough ride, gutless motors and compromised interiors.
Jazz I've had a Iveco Daily (these are real vans) Camper weighing about 3 tonne just under 145, and she was still pulling. 170hp and they go like cut cats, I would love to try the new 260hp V6 Mercedes range.

elect70, Apr 17, 10:32pm
jeez the towrag would couldtow a truck & not notice it . nothing likebig deisel for grunt , . Borrowed 1 to tow a car on tandem from Thameshardly noticed I was towing anything .

hotrodtodd1, Apr 17, 11:49pm
The 4.2 V8 Towrag is a petrol, and the V10 turbo diesel is out of my pricerange.

I cant get excited about the Ford Ranger size utes, tho they seem to tow pretty well. Are any of the offering from Europe any good as tow cars! thinking MB 430, or BMW X5 4.4 as they can be got for under $30,000 now.

Or should I be looking atsome of the Euro Diesel "SUVs"!

unclejake, Nov 12, 2:44am
. Could you land and comply one of your suggestions (in a 2003or thereabouts) for less than $30k! What makes a Patrol overpriced!