Subaru awd auto trans

elvis58, Apr 16, 6:21am
Can anyone remind me of the name of the solenoid in the auto trans that packs up and causes a shudder like binding!Tia .

jasongroves, Apr 16, 6:29am
Duty solenoid!

jasongroves, Apr 16, 6:30am

elvis58, Apr 16, 6:50am
Thanks Jason, sounded good but theone i'm asking about is internal. When faulty it gives a problem like running odd sized wheels but not quite as bad, the car will shudder like it's locking up, very common fault.

jasongroves, Apr 16, 6:54am
TCC solenoid!

jasongroves, Apr 16, 6:58am
Only others I can think of are transfer duty solenoid, Duty solenoids A and C.

jasongroves, Apr 16, 6:59am

elvis58, Apr 16, 7:47am
Thanks Jase. The one i'm looking for gives problems at low speed, it causes the car to bind very similar to the way a 4wd would on solid ground or with different sized wheels, the parts is small , was about $150 trade and mounts inside trans close to pan.

franc123, Apr 16, 9:07am
It lives inside the extension housing Elvis, looks like a miniature auto trans valve block and controls the clutch pack in the rear which in turn controls when the rear driveshaft gets driven.You can pull the housing off with the trans still in the car.You don't have to remove the pan at all, unless of course you want to shout it a filter and fluid change, which you should do anyway.

elvis58, Apr 16, 9:40am
Did a few of the ones i'm chasing up over 10 years ago while in vehicle compliance, i'm sure that fluid was drained and tghe pan off to gain access. What's the part called you are talking about Frank!

franc123, Apr 16, 9:49am
Sorry yes you do have to drain the trans, but the pan doesn't have to come off to replace it, just drain it via the bung.Not sure of its exact name but whoever you deal with in Subaru parts will know what its called, I call it a 4x4 control solenoid.Naturally you have to get a new extension housing gasket and its a good idea to renew the tailshaft seal at the same time.It's definitely the part that causes the problems you describe, I've changed about three of them in both Legacies and Imprezas and it does fix it.After fitting it you need to drive it in a wide open space like an empty carpark and do some figure 8's both forward and reverse to give the fluid a good working through the system, its best to renew the fluid too.

elvis58, Apr 16, 9:53am
Cheers, that sounds right, very common problem but it's been too long!Appreciate your help. You wouldn't know if a 01 jeep grand cherokee with sport auto 4x4 would be likely to have a similar system!This truck has recently developed a fault that sounds and feels very similar.

franc123, Apr 16, 9:58am
Aren't the Jeeps fulltime 4x4 though!Not sure how its controlled, must be via the transfer case.Sometimes simply renewing the oil in the unit concerned can sort it, some have special fluid requirements and additive packages that can go "off" over time.Have come across this on RAV4's and CRV's before.

elvis58, Nov 6, 4:50pm
Yea not sure, it's thatauto sport mode thing that seems odd, will get it sorted next week, problem is very similar to the subaru one.Thanks for your help.