Question for an experianced Car Painter

74nova, Apr 13, 7:32am
Im painting my car two colours, One dark and the other a light colour. I want a Gloss clear on the dark colour and a Saturn clear on the lighter colour with a painted pin stripe where they meet. What method would be used where the two clears meet regarding the pin stripe! I don't want a vinyl stick-on stripe.

rob_man, Apr 13, 7:35am
You can put clear over a vinyl stripe as per factory. And it's satin, not the planet, the material.

74nova, Apr 13, 7:39am
]

You haven't read my question properly.

gunhand, Apr 13, 7:42am
Is the stripe to be gloss or the matt type finish!If gloss just mask off the other matt/semi gloss area or vice versa.
Or will there be a strip of matt between the stripe and gloss colour!

rob_man, Apr 13, 7:52am
And how wide will the stripe be! I had a picture in my head of a narrow stripe, that's why I said you can put clear over vinyl. It's the most practical way to do it.
If you want a wider stripe than say, 6mm then simply mask it and paint it.

74nova, Apr 13, 7:57am
Im thinking of about 3-6mm. Well usually the stripe is put down between the two colours to hide where they meet and then the whole lot is cleared over. But I want two types of clear that will meet where the pin stripe is. The only way I can see it done is lay down the two clears over the two colours so they all meet on the same line and then get a 'Good' pin striper to put down the stripe (by hand) over where the two clears meet to cover the join.

attitudedesignz, Apr 13, 8:00am
Also a kinda related question. Which way 'round are you doin your colours! Dark on top = car looking short and fat, dark on bottom = car looking tall and skinny. Have to be carefull how you do it, it will look good in your head but may not work in reality.

gunhand, Apr 13, 8:04am
Your trying to aviod an edge then! Bit tricky with to types of clear but with some carefull polishing of the gloss coat you would reduce the edge to hardly feelable (is that a word)

74nova, Apr 13, 8:05am
The main colour is dark and it's getting a very wide stripe (lighter colour) down the boot and bonnet. I'm not worried that if it's not going to look good as I'm just copying something I've already see on a car the same as mine and suits the look.

rob_man, Apr 13, 8:07am
If you're that anti vinyl maybe consider painting the stripe before putting the clear(s) on, It's not that hard to mask stripes. I can't see the problem with using vinyl though, Jappy motorcycles seem to be OK with it.

rob_man, Apr 13, 8:10am
Was thinking along the same lines, I guess you could mask the edge of the satin clear with some thin tape before sanding and polishing the gloss clear.

74nova, Apr 13, 8:12am
I'm not too worried about an 'edge'. I don't mind that the stripe will be 'raised' over the rest of the paint but there are also other problems to think about. If any crap or touching up needs doing to the satin clear its very difficult to touch up. Thinking about the pin stripe I suppose it could be masked of and painted on over the clear.

gunhand, Apr 13, 8:15am
Yea easy as to just mask the stripe off paint its colour whip the tape off and clear both lots at once. I wouldnt like to be touching the satin up to often.

dr.doolittle, Apr 13, 8:25am
Ov corse its a word! This is motoring.

74nova, Apr 13, 8:28am
Just like Saturn !

gunhand, Apr 13, 8:28am
Thats a cool looking car.
Ive got a funny idea you can polish matt clears to a gloss or am I dreaming. If so you could just polish the bits needed. Otherwise your masking it up and doing to types of clear.

dr.doolittle, Apr 13, 8:30am

rob_man, Apr 13, 8:31am
That looks piss easy to achieve, get all the gloss stuff done and out of the way then put the satin over the top. That way you won't be polishing your satin finish by accident.
Put the stripe on last thing before the satin clear goes on.

dr.doolittle, Apr 13, 8:32am
Whats with the offset scoop!

gunhand, Apr 13, 8:33am
And you better have a 100% clean booth so you get no shit on it. Ive done them standing up to avoid it.

dr.doolittle, Apr 13, 8:43am
Very cool in that colour. i like the shaved look, suits it.

dr.doolittle, Apr 13, 8:44am
I take that back.
Looks better unpainted.

dr.doolittle, Apr 13, 8:45am
I'd love to have a bare metal car.

attitudedesignz, Oct 25, 10:46am
LMFAO, i thought it looked like a Trepanier car before i saw that pic'. Been a big fan of his since his Malibu/Chevelle days.

He's starting to look old now tho'.