1996 mitsubishi challenger 2.8 diesel

jase320, Apr 8, 6:37pm
My hubby and i have brought one of these and are enjoying it but i am the bookworm type that likes to read about what the lights are for (on dash etc) but cannot find a handbook/manual for one of these even through google. Any ideas where i could get one!
We have an auto and as i have little kids would like to know if there is a problem (light stays on etc) what it is without having to run to hubby first.

Any help would be appreciated

intrade, Apr 8, 7:59pm
ummmmmm You wont need hubby you will need to have good shoes.
mitsubishi make the worst crap cars especially automatic transmissions.
at least you did not buy a GDi on top.

intrade, Apr 8, 8:05pm
find out if it has electronic parts on the diesel engine. if it dont then the engine wont have any lights for the dash it be gearbox problem airbag abs problem lights only that could come to glow on the dash. check under bonnet what engine it has 4M40 or something

intrade, Apr 8, 8:12pm
you should have used google first i found already something to confirm what i know about mitsubishi hence i call em mitsu$hitheap
http://www.fixya.com/cars/t1599550-1996_mitsubishi_challenger_2_8d_auto
do that also transmission fluid is mesured with engine running most times some mitsushitheap you have to turn engine off and instantly 3 secound after mesure the fluid . the transmission fluid has to be nice red wine colour .

phillip.weston, Apr 8, 8:28pm
hey intrade the auto trans used in the Challenger is the very same transmission used in the Toyota Hilux Surf - are you calling them crap as well!

intrade, Apr 8, 8:32pm
automatic hilux jup i got a manual. I did read of a few hilux auto with problems on here and did wonder why. Hilux diesel are all crap diesel from 1988 onwards. my 91hiluxhas a 1982 repower-engine fitted.

intrade, Apr 8, 8:36pm
phillip.weston so what is your opinion on problems or good on these!

phillip.weston, Apr 8, 8:48pm
Well I wouldn't call them super reliable, but they seem to be on par with say a Hilux surf of that same era, which they too crack heads etc if overheated/abused. The GDI petrol model isn't too bad - it seems the bigger V6 GDI engines aren't so problematic as the 4cyl examples, though I've heard of Diamante GDIs cracking pistons but not Challenger/Pajero GDIs doing the same. I think they're a good alternative to the Hilux Surf, they have more or less the same dimentions, 2.8TD is almost as powerful as the Surf 3.0TD, while the 3.0 GDI and 3.5 non-GDI are more powerful than the 3.4 Surf. Auto transmissions are the same Aisan A340-derived unit, hardly anything goes wrong with them and are simple to repair/diagnose.

boat3, Apr 9, 12:08am
carefull with those facts,.intrade might slash his wrists or something.he needs to go and get some happy pills from the men in white coats,.developing some sort of complex pyscological disorder.hope you dont hide in a tree and start shooting at people driving gdi cars!

tree51, Apr 9, 12:28am
BULLSHIT. I have had pleanty of mitsis over the years including a challenger. I now own a brand new triton. Never had a major problems with any of them. Unlike that bloody surf I owned 10 years ago.

boat3, Apr 9, 1:41am
i agree with you,i paid a premium price to buy toyota`s years ago and had plenty of problems,this guy says after `88.yes 1988 toyota diesels are crap! this is starting to look like the telstra ad with the young guy and bill the old phone!guess who bill is.should we be driving old `82 toyota`s,thos old l and roller rocker 2l and 2lt`s were gutless as!and just as prone to cyl head probs ect as alot of other engine of the era.

kwaka5, Apr 9, 3:21am
x1
what i would like to know from intrade is why he thinks mitsi's are crap. Our workshop run only mitsi's. We have a fleet of around 20 vehicals and have only ever had a couple of major problems and they were after 200k+ milage. The last triton i had was at 290k when we got rid of it and it's still going strong. Our vehicals get high milage before replacement. The trick being they also get regular maintainance froma garage that knows the vehicals well. If there is any issues that need adressing then it gets done at the time not waiting for failure of a part then a complete meltdown. Any vehical that is not maintained and looked after will give problems. There are the odd lemons in that of course but don't point fingers at certain manufactures.

mrfxit, Apr 9, 4:39am
Certain vehicles don't take well to neglect or punishment.

90's to 2k Mazda Familia auto's don't like being hammered
Mitsi auto's are the same but also suffer from neglect.
Mk1 zephers break rear axles
Toyota 2L-T diesels suffer from head cracking . IF. not looked after & or ignored

Every vehicle has it's faults perticulery if not looked after.

intrade, Apr 9, 5:00am
with the exeption of some toyotas like a 3L-au toyota . my carina looked like its been in the crusher but the engine did not use oil and ran never cracked head when overheated either.rust got the better of it in the end.

mrfxit, Apr 9, 5:27am
SEE!
Some are just perticulery bad with rust in certain area's.(but we were talking about mechanicals )

newowner, Jun 24, 9:12am
On the dash of the Mitsubishi Challenger I there is the Volatge, bearing/heading and the 2wd/4wd indication lights. When I move from 4WDH to 2WD the top two wheels on the indication lights continually flash. How do I stop this and what does it indicate? cheers