Toyota Prado Clutch Slipping

andyandrae, Apr 5, 4:56am
Hi
Prado clutch is starting to slip sometimes in third and fourth gear when under load going up hills.Can this be adjusted or will a new clutch be needed!
If a new clutch needs to be done what would the approx cost be! And what's involved.The motor is 1KZ-TE.
Thanks

mugenb20b, Apr 5, 6:36am
I did one on a '97 Hilux Surf recently with the same engine. In this case the clutch was OK, but the dual mass flywheel f.ed out. It cost the customer nearly $3k in the end. The clutches in Prados and Surfs are self adjusting.

rob_man, Apr 5, 6:40am
Shit. I'm glad mine's an auto.

mugenb20b, Apr 5, 6:46am
F.ed if I know why people buy manual SUVs. Why punish yourself when autos are so much easier to live with.

rob_man, Apr 5, 7:00am
Both of mine are autos. I was doubtful when I got the first one but I soon found it perfectly suited for off road work. Does all the work for you and helps prevent traction loss which can happen when you grab a lower gear in a hurry.

dent, Apr 5, 7:48am
I replaced a clutch and put a solid fly wheel in a surf with the same engine think the clutch kit and flywheel was about $1100I would be allowing up to $2000

johnf_456, Apr 5, 7:58am
Personal choice, if you like auto's thats your personal choice. I.e we are all different on what we prefer. Not everyone likes red or blue,

rob_man, Apr 5, 8:24am
I'm pretty sure that I'd be happy with a manual 4.2L petrol Cruiser, they don't have too many problems apart from dismal economy.

tnt423, Apr 5, 8:28am
Got my solid flywheel and clutch kit from Toyota for $850, Clutch was $400, I think the Prados have the solid flywheels from the factory.

tnt423, Apr 5, 8:31am
Can't say I've ever had traction loss cos of the manual, you soon learn what each gear can do, Main advantage to manual is when going down steep wet hills offroad.

muzz67, Apr 5, 9:22am
Got an auto, wouldn't bother with manual,,, BUT< it is easier to crawl over rocks etc in a manual.

rob_man, Apr 5, 9:24am
The auto in the older one is pretty agricultural but behaves differently to most, gives pretty good engine braking if you pull it back into low low. It even changes itself down if you leave it alone.