Petrol Stations

dunbar01, Mar 22, 10:31pm
We have so many to choose from, Gull, Shell, Caltex and the list goes on. Who do you like to use and why!
Myself, I use Gull, because out of all the places I've been, I seem to get more gas in my tank for less $$$. Also, I find my car runs better on their petrol.

Your thoughts.

dunbar01, Mar 22, 10:52pm
You're right there mate, most people that I know who own Jap, run them on 95. Some reckon theirs run better using Shell too, but I'm guessing that it could be more about the Flybuys. lol

jezz43, Mar 22, 11:08pm
pak n save is BP fuel i think, pretty sure ive seen a BP tanker in the wanganui one in the wee hours of the morning

dunbar01, Mar 22, 11:11pm
Or they might have been sucking it out. lol

rod525, Mar 22, 11:34pm
Whoever sells 98, other than that - I don't care.

countrypete, Mar 23, 12:16am
Anyone in Wanganui noticed that the three same-owner BP stations have a higher pump price than BP Avenue!3c per litre different last time I filled, and buying a full tank for the boat the diffence can be a few dollars.

countrypete, Mar 23, 12:17am
sorry - should read difference. not diffence

elect70, Mar 23, 12:29am
Notice there are less & lessaround, particulary small towns closing & forcing us to go further to maincompany owned stations . Latest is WaiouruShell last 1&saw it being demolished last weekend , so NO petrol there only a Caltexdeisel card pump , nearly got caughthad just enough toget to Taihape .

johnf_456, Mar 23, 2:24am
bp tanker does not always mean bp fuel.

bleetbleet, Mar 23, 2:28am
nah they aint shuting shell @ waiouru. they refubishing it.man is waiouru dead in the middle of the night now!

rod525, Mar 23, 2:49am
When was it rocking!

bleetbleet, Mar 23, 2:54am
lol wasnt long ago both caltex and shell stations where 24 hour and truckies could get free coffee-so there was heaps of linehaul trucks and ppl around.now days theres almost tumble weeds blown doen the main road

mothergoose_nz, Mar 23, 3:04am
sanson has gone to one service station.being on the main highway its not unusual to cue for your petrol and cue to pay for it.they are refurbishing sometime soon.you see all the old petrol stations that have been closed down as we drive around.i wondered if it was better cars or what.there used to be so many of them.the drive from taihape to bulls is a long dead drive after dark now.

franc123, Mar 23, 5:51am
Not really anything to do with cars, like everything else in the retail sector its all about $ and consumer manipulation.The oil co's have been progressively getting rid of the independent/low volume/isolated/old tank servo's and replacing them with flash new ones in the larger urban areas, if at all.When it comes to fuel retailing the pen pushers in Wellington or even further afield don't give a stuff about NZ rural communities or even recognise they exist, the plan is/was to get rural people to fill their vehicles at the supermarket servo (that funnily enough never used to exist) or other urban outlet with the fuel voucher they've just got with the grocery shopping before they leave town, thus undercutting the independent and costing them the sale completely, they know damn well they didn't have any margin to play with and couldn't discount to compete.Also since fuel is less readily available once you leave the big smoke, most people are going to put more litres in the tank as you're a bit stuffed if you get too low or run out the further you get from civilisation.And guess what!You all fell for it.

johnf_456, Mar 23, 8:26am
Shell here to, car runs better with shell, never touch bp mainly cause they are the first to put fuel up and the last to drop plus there is a local shell up the road so I would rather support him since its handy.

scotthurst01, Mar 23, 8:26am
in this case it does though.it states on the pumps that fuel is supplied by BP.

johnf_456, Mar 23, 8:28am
Fair enough, just thought I'd put that exception in there.

moosie_21, Mar 23, 8:40am
Yeah I have, guess they can charge what they want! Hey Pete, where do you work!

mottly, Mar 24, 3:47am
and I see fuel is still around $2.20 a gallon in the States.why is NZ around 400% more for lower quality fuel.

johnf_456, Mar 24, 4:44am
NZ is cheap compared to a lot of Europe. 3 bucks plus a litre.

iginoi, Mar 24, 4:51am
Because they have a President not a PM

aitech, Mar 24, 5:30am
Does anyone know the biggest petrol company! Apparently there is an e-mail circulating (Unfortunately I haven't got one yet) Heard it on radio today to say that if we all stopped buying from this company, petrol will drop to a dollar. Sounds good to me but he wouldn't give the name over the radio

johnf_456, Aug 20, 6:54am
That crap has been going around for years and it will never work.