Anyone had a 4cyl Escudo/ Vitara auto?

chopssuzi, Mar 23, 6:12am
We had a 16v 1600cc auto 3door, it was great had enough get up and go for that type of vehicle, kinda wish i still had it, not great on gas around town but cheap enough for a 4wd.

zephyrheaven, Mar 23, 6:26am
the 3 doors like to swap ends on rainy days , good tyres cures this

great wee trucks, well under stated offroad too - go many places

put a set of headers on it as soon as you can - cheap from autobend in chch nowdays, bolt on job easy as - keeps heat out of the head & some models exhaust manifold collapsed causing all kinds of issues
keep a steady diet of antifreeze in it - they rot frostplugs under the cam in the head too

otherwise go forth & zook!

franc123, Mar 23, 6:34am
split heater hoses is a common cause of overheating and premature death, especially early models, best to get them changed while doing the aforementioned antifreeze check and change when you buy.Being an all alloy motor those G16's hate overheating and useable second hand ones are getting suprisingly hard to find AND expensive.

zephyrheaven, Mar 23, 6:36am
true true - also change the wee bypass from near the waterpump to the intake , tiny wee hose that 9 times out of 10 fails & causes engine munting without you knowing it, preventative is best!

zephyrheaven, Mar 23, 6:49am
ragtops all die the same death like anything out in the weather, you can buy new ones & fit yourself mind you - last one I got from a dealer here that was closing down - brand new in a box for a hundy

franc123, Mar 23, 6:59am
Watch out for rust in the chassis and underbody, if its been used on the beach in the past or used to tow boats (and a heap of them have) it can get terminal if the owner hasn't cleaned it down properly, any odd behavior/sticking of the brakes and excessive corrosion of calipers/ rotors/handbrake cable etc is not a good sign either.The autos themselves are normally pretty robust, some develop an odd clunk when coming to a stop which presumably happens when its changing back to first gear, doesn't seem to be anything to worry about.though.Check it in high/low ratio 4wd for any transfer box noise or jumping out of range, the whole trans uses voided rubber mounts and thus moves around quite a bit.Otherwise do the usual checks for evidence of good maintenance.

toppo1, Mar 23, 8:23am
Had a 5door escudo a couple of years ago. Brilliant little wagon, had extractors and had the cat convertor removed, seemed to go well. Excellent around town,not so great on the open road though, gets blown around in the wind a bit. never had any trouble other than having to replace leads and general servicing , had just on 200kms on clock when I sold it

berg, Aug 19, 9:44pm
We had a ragtop manual 1600 and it was a great wee thing. Put a good set of feet under them and they not only handle quite well but they also go places.
Used to tow my Figlass Fireball without any problems. A good set of extractors is also a must as they split the exhaust manifolds.