Does maldat frequent here still? bmx question

Page 1 / 2
xacoon, Mar 11, 11:52pm
been a while since I was on here and dont know whos still frequenting. anyway I seem to recall he was the man to talk to about 80s bmxs! have a red healing hi max sitting in my shed wondering if it is worth restoring, missing the shifter but everything else is there. along with 20 years of cobwebs. are they worth anything or just nostalgia value!

xacoon, Mar 11, 11:58pm
ah an entertaining mt style meltdown I hope! nah chrome wheels, only info I can find on it is that it is effectively an hmx 500 with a 3 speed hub, I remember being flasher than michael jackson back in the day coz I had gears.

goose13, Mar 12, 12:15am
restore and keeps for the kids!

robbo36, Mar 12, 12:50am
Youse were one of those rich fellas eh! Remember those HMX 500 and the HMX 600 (black, i think). Were the wheels made of anodised ali! Me mate at primary had one, it was the schnizz! Me, doggy old 10 speed with handle bars turned up. Could do a wheely for 7 power poles on that bad boy tho.

xacoon, Mar 12, 1:01am
kinda looking at a restore, its handy having a good mate whos old man owns a cycle shop but some of the older bits and pieces are getting hard to come by. any leads on a 3 speed shimano shifter and cable to suit would be great.

bmxer4, Mar 12, 1:03am
That was Nicole Kidman, although if you look closely it's a dude with a wig on doing the tricks.

elvis58, Mar 12, 1:03am
Try trader Shazza65, he might be of some help.

xacoon, Mar 12, 1:05am
parents only gave one gift a year but made sure it was a good one (still got all my fun ho toys from back in the day). farm boy so it saw its fair share of offroad, but vaguely remember cruising round town chopping down gears for the corners, just coz I could haha

bmxer4, Mar 12, 1:09am
Is it the shifter or hub unit which needs replacing! Could maybe recon one if you find one tidy enough. Does it have standard 36 spoke wheels or the plastic Skyway Tuffwheels! Tidied up you could get around $350 I guess. Sales seem to have slowed down a bit lately on here.

My nana worked at the Bromley plant in Chch so I had some great bikes. She built wheels and attached stems etc. She used to bring the HMX sticker sets home for us to put on our school books. They are now worth a bit of money.

Even though I'm in my 20s I still ride a BMX (somewhat painfully).

xacoon, Mar 12, 1:11am
does he come on these boards!

xacoon, Mar 12, 1:15am
hub still seems to work fine, the shifter and cable are awol, I am guessing my brother flogged them, although hes not admitting to it. not sure what spoke but definitely not the plastic ones. just hit 30 and decided its time to start riding one again. got a specialized freestyle in the shed somewhere but the healing looks cooler.

bmxer4, Mar 12, 1:29am
I sold a Healing 16" to a guy from Dunedin a while back who was buying a whole heap of bikes to display to the public(!!). I will try and track down his details for you.

When I was at high school (not too long ago) we would buy old Healings and Pantha bikes because freestyle bikes were so expensive. We had a recycling place in Chch that had just opened and they had mountains of them. Buying one for $10 and breaking it in a few weeks was cheap and fun. When I saved up and bought a top of the line 2002 Haro I was guttered that it was so hard to ride and heavy compared to the oldies. Now it's all about wide bars, small sprockets, seat down low and weight reduction.

xacoon, Mar 12, 1:54am
sweet yeh any leads for a shifter. I dont think it is designed to take a hundy kilo frame so I wont be taking it to the track, just a cruiser. freestyle bikes arent really designed to be sat on are they, had one as a daily ride for a while, assholed it for a mountain bike. much more comfortable, not as enjoyable as a bmx though.

xacoon, Mar 12, 5:16am
was pretty sure it is a 3 speed, my bike shop man reckons he sold them as a 3 speed, but it has been a loooong time since I have ridden it

xacoon, Mar 12, 5:18am
you have any photos etc of your hi max or any original ones! want to see what Im missing, I know my seat is wrong but not sure of hand grips etc.

elvis58, Mar 12, 5:57am
Doubt it, never noticed him here, best bet would be to get him via his listing's when he has some.

bmxer4, Mar 13, 3:15am
Maldat probably would be able to help you out if you could track his email down. He closed his bike shop about 5 years ago but he still has heaps of bits around. He used to take old BMX bits as a trade on new MTB gear. I swapped him some old BMX bits for a new XC wheel for my MTB years ago. Just trying to find where I left the contact details for the other bloke.

xacoon, Mar 13, 7:01am
sweet. got feelers out with a few locals, there will be something floating about in someones shed surely.

xacoon, Mar 16, 2:17am
definitely a 3 speed shimano, dont think its going to be an easy hunt for parts, but will continue anyway. anyone got hmx style rims they dont need!

mig5, Mar 16, 2:34am

fordkiwi27, Mar 16, 2:57am
i have got a grifter and my mate has got a hmx500 .man its small!

xacoon, Mar 16, 3:52am
man that bike with the motorbike tyre is sweet!

xacoon, Mar 16, 3:53am
mine is effectively a hmx but with gears. your mate hasnt got any parts for them has he!

goose13, Mar 16, 6:09am
hi,were was them pic taken!

mig5, Mar 16, 10:43pm
they were taken at Autorama in Detroit about a fortnight ago. Pretty insane show, so much good stuff you get all blasé about what you're seeing. Car pics here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php!aid=375933&id=645886678&l=e6bb2dbe1d