Girly question about bmw's

smellykelly, Feb 27, 7:16am
With a car like this I hate the black plastic bits along the side. Listing #: 452129427 are you able to have these painted so the are the same colour as the car! Does just a regular panel beater do this! Any idea how much!
Thanks alot

haventrader, Feb 27, 7:28am
I suppose you could, but after-market paint on plastic is never a good idea. If you do go for it, choose a reputable panel beater, and hope he can match the colours as close as possible. Think about future resale too- a buyer might become suspicious if all the trim is painted too. No idea on costs.

edangus, Feb 27, 7:32am
Its merely there to stop marking your doors and chipping paint.

Do not take it to a Panelbeater. You need to take it to a Professional Auto Refinisher.

Expect to spend a fair amount of cash. It needs to be colourmatched, prepped correctly and painted with flexible paint.

petal_91, Feb 27, 7:35am
Don't buy that car. It is heavy and underpowered and will not be good on gas. You need a 330i.

kazbanz, Feb 27, 7:37am
OP--short version YES they can be and you need to go to a good painter

smellykelly, Feb 27, 7:39am
I'm not looking at that car in particular .just using it as an example.

smellykelly, Feb 27, 7:39am
Any idea of cost! Under $1000!

rob_man, Feb 27, 7:40am
The tupperware does need to be in reasonable condition though, it doesn't take to being sanded like a painted surface if it's raw plastic.

edangus, Feb 27, 7:41am
Buy a different car.

grangies, Feb 27, 7:47am
To do it properly they need to be taken off and painted.

The colour match will be good with any modern auto paint basecoat/clearcoat system.

It won't be cheap though. The removal and replacement will be the major cost of the job, and will vary between shops on their hourly rate.

They could be done on the vehicle too as long as the spray painter is fussy and does a meticulous preparation job with masking and sanding.

They do not need flexible paint though ( as mentioned above ) as they are rigid plastic. So flexible paint will negate the purpose as the plastic is rigid anyway.

Flexible paint is pretty much a thing of the past these days. It was designed for rubbery spoilers and bumpers, which are not around anymore.

rob_man, Feb 27, 7:47am
Yes, well under $1000. I would probably charge around $200 max for that Beemer without doing the bumpers, with bumpers a bit more than that. It pays to leave the bumpers alone though because they do get rubbed against things a bit more than the doors.

edangus, Feb 27, 8:45am
Guess I am showing my age then

intrade, Feb 27, 8:47am
you cant paint these they are gummy rubber you can remove the ones on the doors but your screwd with the ones on the bumper. simply buy a car without it is the answer

robotnik, Feb 27, 9:06am
Actually it maybe possible to order these trim strips from BMW already colored in the right hue. Would try ringing the dealer and asking. These strips will not be cheap if sourced new from BMW however.

akaniva, Feb 27, 9:19am
Also consider why some people call them BM-troubleyous.

taipan4, Feb 27, 9:22am
B M W bloody money waster

outbidyou2, Feb 27, 9:29am
Bumpers get rubbed against things more than doors! Are you sure, maybe I'm careful driver

owene, Feb 27, 9:45am
Don't you know how to hit the fence and rip them off! I thought girlies were experts at that!

outbidyou2, Feb 27, 9:50am
don't u know!

robotnik, Feb 27, 10:27am
BMWs are fine, just trade them in before they get to 7 years which is when the out of warranty and costly troubles start cropping up with them.

studio1, Feb 28, 7:59am
bmw's what exactly!

leesil, Feb 28, 8:09am
I had this done. I think it cost me $300 about 6 years ago. I had all the woodgrain interior trim painted a different colour and the door trims. I didn't do the bumpers. To be honest though, I think it looked better with the black trim on the doors. I'm glad I got rid of the woodgrain though.