Loctite question

bikeman2, Mar 2, 8:07am
Hi guys, I have been looking at the loctite website but there are so many different products that they have its hard to figure out exactly what is what. What I am basically wanting to do is put together the cranks on my bike (the bit which has the chainrings on at the pront that the pedals connect to) there is an axle which goes through the frame and on the other side the crank arm sits on a spline and then has a bolt thread into the end of the axle to hold the crank on. now due to a mechanical defect/supposed poor maintenance (yeah right) the nut managed to work its way loose enough that even when torqued up now it still works its way loose. I have another set I can use but dont like them so want to use my old ones so am going to try degreasing the hell out of the threads on both sides so that they are as clean as possible then using a threadlocker to bond them. now question is what loctite in particular should I use. they will be subject to vibration, the elements, but compared to industrial applications not a massive load but with the obvious wear which comes from thousands of revolutions. sorry for the novel hadn't realised I had typed so much. any help much appreciated

panicky, Mar 2, 8:09am

bikeman2, Mar 2, 8:15am
cheers. I see that to get it apart they recommend heating, is there any that have a similar bond strength without the need to heat to break the bond should they need to come off!

panicky, Mar 2, 8:20am
you won't need heat, trust me, just use a minimal spot or two of it.

msigg, Mar 2, 8:21am
supa glue

yeahm8, Mar 2, 8:22am
I used loctite on an alloy cylinder, near the same as a bike frame and when I needed break the seal using heat I just tipped a lot of boiling water over the pipe, it worked for me.

bikeman2, Mar 2, 8:26am
shit even I aint that rough haha

gman35, Mar 2, 8:40am
Do you have "Truvativ" cranks by chance !

pnh4, Mar 2, 8:44am
Yeya!

bikeman2, Mar 2, 8:54am
nah FSA carbon cranks but the mechanic that took them off had a set of truvativ ones going spare that he put in but they are a 53/43 and i like my compact 50/39 so want to put my old ones back on if i can get them to hold. did a bunch of research on them and heaps of guys overseas had exact same problem as me and got given new sets from FSA but the nz distributors didn't wanna know about it and basically told me to fornicate in the other direction

daryl14, Mar 2, 6:55pm
There are different types of lock nuts you can look at too to ensure extra hold.

quickbuck, Mar 3, 4:24am
I would use 243 myself, 263 might be too much. Most important thing is to degrease it properly.