Idle Speed for 1989 Mazda Familia Interplay 1500CC

Page 2 / 2
karstuff, Mar 25, 7:22am
To alter idle one must first open the diagnostic connecter and link the "ten" and "ground terminals.Same for altering timing.

jmma, Mar 25, 7:48am
In 1989, wasn't this only on the purple cars!

nomannz123, Mar 25, 12:10pm
After all this I think spending money to have it hooked up to a diagnostic machine might be even better as a diagnostic machine should show where the issue is.
One of the regulators in the engine bay fuse box was chattering away as well, will take it for diagnostic test.
Cheers

jasongroves, Mar 25, 12:40pm
You can do a diagnostic test yourself:)
There should be a small box beside the battery, that's the DLC (Diagnostic Link Connector).
Here's the info:
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/4139/323dlc.jpg http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/6949/323accessing.jpg

jasongroves, Mar 25, 12:43pm
If any faults show, post back with the code and I will give you the codes meaning as there is too many to post here:)

nomannz123, Mar 25, 12:51pm
Hi Jason it does have the small box, but I do not have a test light, are these easy to make or can I buy one. Also bridging the data link connector, are these easy to do.
I thought of some thing, will a test light used to test fuses do the same thing and will that give me codes.

jasongroves, Mar 25, 1:08pm
You can make one http://www.electronics-tutorials.com/test-equip/led-test-lamp.htm
but it can be a bit fiddly and time consuming.
My mechanic mate has one which I use, so they are available (you need an LED test light for this model).
Jaycar may be able to help or someone else around here may be able to point you in the right direction.
Bridging is a piece of cake, you just use a paperclip or something to connect the GND and TEN terminals together and leave it connected while you use your LED test light.
A normal test light wont do sorry as the resistance and output is wrong.
Sadly, yours is slightly more complicated than most vehicles or that error to diagnose.but still simple enough.
With the majority of Jap cars, you just bridge 2 connectors and count the engine light flashes.

jasongroves, Mar 25, 1:12pm
I've got a multi-meter for serious testing.but more often than not for basic stuff, I just use a home made tester (an old 12v bulb in its connector, usually a brake light with some extra wire attached):)

jasongroves, Mar 25, 1:13pm
Did you do the basics like check for manifold leaks, thermostat etc!

nomannz123, Mar 26, 7:07am
Now a thought is where do I find the water temp sensor, it where the Thermostat is, or is it on the block.

jasongroves, Mar 26, 7:38am
Usually there's a sender on the thermostat, but that just sends info to the temp gauge.
Temp sensor, from my hazy memory is on the radiator, near the bottom.

nomannz123, Mar 27, 7:55am
Hi there, found the sensor on the block below the Thermostat and other sensor.
Also found the choke set to half on by the previous owner brother keeping it half on with a hair clip bent to do so.
Took the hair clip out and hmmm, now it wont start.
The butterfly is completely shut.
Shall I invest in a rebuilt carburettor ornot.