Auto choke on Mazda Familia not WORKING

nomannz123, Mar 27, 8:02am
Mazda Familia Interplay, 1500 Single Cam.
Last owner had choke on permanently, now I have removed the hair clip which kept it open it will no longer start or idle.
The butterfly now completely shuts off the throat and I presume there is no air getting through.
Where to from here, buy a refurbished carbeuretter or what.
Also where would I find the ECU (Computer) in this car.
Any knowledge here guys.
Help appreciated !

mugenb20b, Mar 27, 8:30am
If the engine is carburetted, it won't have an ECU.

So, is the engine EFi or carburetted!

nomannz123, Mar 27, 8:37am
No fuel rail, as far as I can see it has a carburetor with auto choke.
Single overhead cam model.
It has a diagnosisbox behind the battery.
Any ideas as to what we have here

mugenb20b, Mar 27, 8:42am
So, is it single point injection!

nomannz123, Mar 27, 8:48am
I would say so, the auto choke is obviously not working as it should and the butterfly is completely closed. It is almost like there is no petrol getting through to start the car, although I know there is petrol in the car.
What do you say could be the problem

mugenb20b, Mar 27, 9:00am
I would start by removing spark plugs. Are they wet!

A petrol engine needs 4 things to run:
1. Compression
2. Fuel
3. Spark
4. Air

So, you'll have to do some tests, and eliminate one problem at a time (1 and 4 should take about three seconds to check)

If the engine is cold, the butterfly that you see should be in an almost closed position. A cold engine needs a rich mixture, so FA air should go in. Even if the choke is at fault, the engine should still start.

nomannz123, Mar 27, 9:08am
OK I will check everything out in the morning.
A bit late at this time of the night. Thanks for the ups here.

nomannz123, Mar 28, 1:01am
Ok plugs checked and are fouled, fuel is getting there, there is spark although leads need changing and air filter will need changing.
Warm in neutral it is still idling at 1500+RPM, in gear 1000 RPM, Cold at 1750 RPM or there abouts.
Any ideas

ceebee2, Mar 31, 3:34am
!Air leak

steve98h, Apr 3, 6:13am
is the choke is totally shut it wont start. u will need to adjust it. i think those were a waxstat type choke and are common for wearing, a new waxstat is cheap and easy to replace