Toyota Prado - Petrol Vs Diesel

tophattails, Mar 27, 7:58pm
Looking at getting one of these - anyone got any opinions!Interested to know the pros and cons of each.Cheers

nathanmac, Mar 27, 10:28pm
We've been looking at these for a while also, and I've spoken to 3 people who have owned both petrol and diesel models and all 3 preferred the petrol version which surprised me.One tows a boat regularly too, all were used primarily on tarmac with no offroading.

They all seemed to think the running costs over time were similar enough to not really be a concern in the grand scheme of things.Would come down to what you'd be using it for as far as running costs that would apply to your own situation, much like any vehicle.

From what I can gather you can't really go too wrong with these depending on what age/mileage etc you are looking at of course.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 27, 10:31pm
What year/price bracket Prado are you looking at!
What are you actually using it for i.e is it actually going to be used offroad, towing, school run etc!

tophattails, Mar 27, 11:06pm
Thx for the info Nathanmac.I've heard the same, re running costs for each etc.
I'm looking at 96-98 models for everyday use and towing the horse float.

bwg11, Mar 27, 11:15pm
I have just traded a 3.0 litre diesel Prado on 4.0 litre petrol FJ Cuiser (same motor as the 4.0 litre petrol Prado). The Prado had a lifetime comsumption of 12.8 litre/100km and the FJ is doing 13.9 litre/100km to date. The fuel cost per year on my annual usage is only about $1000 extra for petrol. Plus the petrol has no RUC, and the sevice interval for the petrol is 15,000km. Off road the petrol is significantly thirstier, but the 200kw gives bags of grunt on the road, especially when towing. I would buy petrol again.

msigg, Mar 28, 4:55am
Great machine, either is good both would work out very similar to run.

morrisman1, Mar 28, 6:09am
bwg11, you must only do 10,000km per year for those figures to work.

bwg11, Mar 28, 7:04am
Correct. Second vehicle

mugenb20b, Mar 28, 8:55am
I would recommend a diesel, incredible amount of torque. The 1KZ-TE motor just wants to keep on pulling. You need to be aware that the cooling system needs to be in good order at all times. Make sure the viscous fan is working (not just spinning, needs to kick in and out), and radiator rodded out every few years.

The V6 has good power but I found it a bit sluggish in the lower rev range. And let's face it, you aren't buying an SUV for economy. It will cost you money which ever way you look at it.

ralphdog1, Mar 28, 9:23am
x1
Got a petrol 96 Surf which is the same mechanicals as the Prado.
Do around 5k a year, it is our third vehicle, 80% of it's running is towing something.
Agree with Mugen, a bit sluggish lower down compared to the diesel, but that is why it has a gearbox.just jump on the loud pedal, after all there there are a 190 horses under the bonnet, you just need to feed them some chaff!.
Regularly tow 2 tonne, never have I become concerned about lack of power.
If you are doing more than 10k a year I would tend towards the diesel, but do your sums and do not forget all the extra costs of each, fuel, licensing, RUCs, purchase cost difference (and finance cost if that applies) and consequent depreciation, maintenance.
The petrol ones are a good rocket in my opinion.
Edited to add, get 24-25 mpg open road with no towing, add 2 tonne to the rear and it goes down to around 17mpg (CHCH to Nelsonover the Lewis)
Sorry, but for some weird reason mpg is about the only imperial measurement I still use.

r15, Mar 28, 11:46am
and it must be bloody hard for you old buggers to work it out too seeing as your odometer is in km and your fuel sold in litres!