Rav4 3s-fe petrol hog

Page 1 / 2
sandndude, May 1, 5:31am
Got a 3dr 2.0 auto F4wd for the kid, done plugs, air cleaner, tyre press all usual stuff and it uses as much gas if not more than my BA xr6 ute, any sensible ideas! Puter re-map !

supertech1, May 1, 5:35am
Wot year! ECU

mugenb20b, May 1, 5:40am
How much does it use (L/100km)!

kazbanz, May 1, 5:40am
Honest truth mon--Get another vehicle. Apsolutely NO sarcasm intended
Rav 4 four wheel drives are known to be thirsty.
There is a version that is two wheel drive that although not an economical vehicle isnt a 450k to a tank type jobbie.
I did toy with figuring out how to put a blanking plug out of the gearbox where the rear wheels driveand remove the diff head but its a lot of money with no certainty of success--ie I dunno if the box is set up to be just front wheel drive
So back to my origonal suggestion-dump the rav and get a lil sedan or hatch

sandndude, May 1, 5:44am
its a2000 yr

beast9, May 1, 5:44am
have you replaced your spark plug leads as a crook lead can mean more fuel

sandndude, May 1, 5:46am
Try 12-13L/100 on the hi-way it's insane.

mugenb20b, May 1, 5:54am
That sounds about right.

tuttyclan, May 1, 6:02am
We have a 1994 Rav4 auto and the best we can get out of ours is 9 litres per 100 on the open road ,10 mixed and 11 around town.We run ours on 95 octane otherwise economy would be worse on 91.Try running yours on 95,you may save a litre per 100km at least approx.
Check that the tyres on it are A T (All terrain) and not M S (mud and snow) as the MS will have nobilly tread and be noiser and use more petrol.
My wife loves the Rav so there is no chance getting a more fuel efficiant car.Anyway the Rav is holding its value (we paid 4k for it 3 years ago) and being a Toyota its reliable as which is enough to offset the extra fuel used and a very happy wife lol.

intrade, May 1, 6:30am
check your lambada 02 oxigen sensore as first thing next thing would be does the engine get hot enough = normal operation temp!

boat3, May 1, 6:31am
we had the same engine in a camry sceptre,used more petrol than the v6 calais we had,was rediculous,otherwise a very good car though.

intrade, May 1, 6:32am
91 should be banned from sale no car can run on that correctly.

intrade, May 1, 6:33am
also the 3s-fe is a shimmed valve clearance that no one ever does impacting in huge economy loss with burned valves in end.

intrade, May 1, 6:40am
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/83-4-1-general/85230-when-do-you-shift-gears-lookin-perfect-gear-shift.html

Used Toyota, RAV4 car for sale in Perth. . Fuel consumption: City 9.5 L/100km some say 8.5 automatic will be higher

mugenb20b, May 1, 6:46am
Is your overdrive ON or OFF!

tuttyclan, May 1, 6:59am
We used to own a 1989 Toyota Corona with the same engine and it was much more economical than the Rav.We would get about 650km out of about 50 litres of 91 octane fuel.The car however was driven from Manukau to Orewa everyday.The Rav is unfortunally disadvantaged by the 4wd, big tyres and body shape.

sandndude, May 1, 7:02am
im not that bad.

sandndude, May 1, 7:03am
Thanks all for your input, there are a few things there i can address.

sandndude, May 1, 7:04am
temps fine, wondering about sensor and converter.

sw20, May 1, 7:12am
My MR2 turbo which runs 12 second 1/4 miles gets better economy on the open road.

a.woodrow, May 1, 7:14am
Try cleaning out the throttle body and the air flow meter

stevexc, May 1, 7:21am
I have a 3S-FE RAV4 4WD and it never uses more than 11km/litre around town.

Something's not right with yours.

bwg11, May 1, 7:24am
2000 was model change year, can we assume it is "old shape" with the 3S-FE engine! These were a bit thirstier than "new shape". You said you bought for "the kid" - how hard is it driven! If it is being driven hard, your figures are about what I would expect.

floscey, May 1, 7:26am
i cut the cat convertor out of my corolla just recently because it was suckin the gas .Seems 2 have more power now and i dont have to give it as much of a boot to go anywhere.Its getting about 50-80km at leastmore to a tank . I had changed leads, plugs, oxy sensor ,engine managment sensor etc without any gains ,luckly got parts cheap.Wish i had taken it out years ago. Slightly louder but not loud.
doing at comparison between 91 & 95 at moment. it was only $3.50 dearer when you put in 40 litres and car drives a lot nicer.

sandndude, May 1, 7:38am
Yep old shape, the kid is frugal but was spending a fortune on gas as we live rural it's a 25km on the flat to the city so I swaped vehicles as I was perplexed as to its appitite for fuel, it's just a pig.