Mazda Familia Playing Up.

jimliz1, Apr 15, 12:30am
Our 89 Mazda Familia (1.3 litre, DOHC, auto, fuel injected) decided not to start yesterday (after many months of reliable running)

I've checked the following:
Dizzie Cap - tidied up not too bad nick
Spark plugs & leads - spark getting to all plugs
Petrol getting to cylinders - not too little/much
Contaminants in the oil - nil
Exhaust - Dry with some carbon buildup
Water - was a little low - no sign of cracked head gasket
Cam belt - a ok (Was changed 40,000 kms ago) (Both cams turning)
Compression - don't have a tester but a rudimentary check the cylinders appear ok
Air filter - good condition
Throttle butterfly - working in good order
Have checked alternator/water pump/power steering pump and all seem in good nick.

WhenI go to start it (jump start from ute as battery a little low) it sounds like its almost tryingto fire up but wont. I have tried throttle wide open for a bit to see if it it was flooded but no joy.

Also tried with no throttle and again no joy.

When it turns over, it doesn't turn smooth, ok at first then stop/go (has always been a little like this.

When turn over no sign of moisture out the exhaust but there is a little black carbon (posssibly unburnt fuel!)

Any ideas what the problem could be would be great

family007, Apr 15, 12:54am
Have you checked no water has gotten into the cylinders! My Mazda familia decided to start roughly and idle at a ridiculous 200-500rpm from cold. Once I did get it started I have to drive hard, thrashing the engine to keep it going! Going down the motorway with overdrive on/off/on/off etc etc.
My partner checked the engine as it was idling in the driveway, pulling out each lead and sparkplug one at a time until number two was pulled out and the engine stopped. He looked in the bottomof the cylinder and there was moisture. Wiped it out with a paper towel and bingo, all good again.!

beast9, Apr 15, 1:36am
do an ohms test on your spark plug leads as it could be to weak under pressure if the lead has to higher resistance ie = 12 inch lead 2k ohm ok 6 k ohm bad if this is the case replace all leads

pieman33h, Apr 15, 7:43am
just had a similar problem with a mazda 323, tho had no spark, turned out to be the ignition module needed replacing, also check the main engine fuse, if this is blown it will not idle or start very well at all,

Good luck, bloody frustrating trying to find the mystery gremlin!

snoopy221, Apr 15, 7:51am
I've checked the following:
Dizzie Cap - tidied up not too bad nick
Spark plugs & leads - spark getting to all plugs
Petrol getting to cylinders - not too little/much
Well the basic be all and end all of that lilll'story.
IS.

Leave the plugs out-wind er over a bit- wait an hour or so-.
Preferably leave plugs outside in the sun.
If plugs look good lean and dry-refit and try 2 start er.

[This petrol-not too little-not too much-well if it ain't a runnin-tain't long before it's

too much.

and flooded]-Kapeesh!

jimliz1, Apr 15, 10:19am
No I don't think so as normally it starts first pop with no throttle what so ever. And if it was flooded holding the throttle open wide short normally allow to start within a short time - its something different - not sure just what yet

skin1235, Apr 15, 10:59am
pop a timing light on it and check
I suspect it has jumped a tooth on the belt, and with any luck this should pick it up

elect70, Apr 16, 3:17am
^^^ um doesnt it need to be running !

skin1235, Apr 16, 4:41am
definitely not, in fact better if it isn't, sure will tell you if the timning is now retarded to hell

jimliz1, Apr 16, 7:52am
Good idea - I will try this tommorrow

gmphil, Apr 16, 8:20pm
When starting u mention stop go ,sounds like its kicking back +1 for checking timing

ceebee2, Apr 17, 4:29am
If you suspect valve timing I would not crank the engine but remove the top cam cover and turn by hand and check properly. If its the twin cam you can bend a lot of valves.